What is the "Reference Version" used for?

Hello

Solidworks makes a reference version appear in my assemblies.

This version is different from the version number and suddenly a diamond with an exclamation mark appears.

Does anyone know what it's for?

Attached is a screenshot.

capture.jpg
1 Like

No, sorry.

Maybe in fact there is a 5/5 version of your room but on your computer it is only loaded the 4/5 version (maybe a version that has been created and you don't have access to it!?)

2 Likes

see this link among others (the video)

http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/products/product-data-management/revision-and-version-control.htm

this is in my opinion the number of times the file has been modified by X

and your diamond must indicate that the open room version is not the right one via the ref version

since in your assembly you have opened the latest 6/6 versions; 6/6; 5/5; 7/7

and your ref versions are 5/6; 4/5 ; 7/7

so your part (CAR-00128-R01) had a modification by whom when? If you find or add the column (checked out by) you will know who and when

@+

4 Likes

It seems to me that this means that the version of your part CAR-00128-R01 in your pdm trunk is the 5 while the one used when creating your assembly was the 4 (or 6 and 5 for the S01 part)

To have the assembly in the state in which it was archived, you must use the parts in the reference version.

4 Likes

Thank you for your answers, but the version numbers of my files are correct and they are the latest versions.

On the other hand, the reference versions are not correct, which does not influence my assembly at all.

I found an explanation, for me it remains ambiguous...

capture-4.jpg

Oh yes, well found, basically it means that your part has been modified since the last save of the assembly. But it's weird that by reloading the assembly when opening it, it is not updated the parts!? Did you select "Do not load referenced documents" when opening the assembly???  

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

I don't see how it's ambiguous.

Are you sure that your assembly has been saved with the subassembly loaded to the latest version and then archived. As presented in the vault in your interface, the high-level assembly calls in its latest version the n-1 version of the subassembly, hence the alerts that indicate that the version of the subassembly loaded locally is newer than the one originally called by the head assembly.

That's exactly what I told you above.

You have the latest versions but your assembly was created with the penultimate versions of these parts.

As G. says, it means that the parts have been modified (or at least checked out and archived) since the last time you opened this assembly.

It may be that the parts have simply been extracted and archived without undergoing any geometry changes , or they have been modified, but the modification has no influence on your assembly.

3 Likes

Everyone gives good answers it seems to me :-)

If you want to see this offset disappear, you extract your assembly, save it and archive it. So it will use the latest versions of your parts and the warnings will disappear.

If your parts are interchangeable, the interest is limited. On the other hand, if they are not interchangeable, this distinction allows you to understand why the part is no longer assembled in your assembly.

In other words, the little warning allows you to draw your attention to parts that have been modified since the last archiving of the assembly. Logically it is on these parts that an interference/assembly problem could appear since the parts have been modified.

4 Likes