Activate layers in a current AUTOCAD window

Hello

I work on AutoCAd in the following way:

My entire plan is in the OBJECT space, the thematic plans in the PAPER space.

(so far, nothing extraordinary...)

In the same way that it is possible to click on the screen on several layers and isolate them (so that only they remain visible), I would like to do the same thing in the paper space.

That is to say that in my presentation window, I would like to click on several layers so that these layers, and only those, are active  (therefore visible) in my window.

In the case of the "isolate layers" command, the selection applies to the entire file; I would like it to apply only to my window.

I hope I haven't confused you too much.

Thank you in advance for your answers and have a nice day!

Hello, I would be tempted to say that it is not possible...

In fact a priori yes: you have to activate the view (by double clicking) and then use the LAYFRZ command . But I think it's the other way around: you can hide layers, but you can't show layers that are hidden in the object space!

Freeze layer represented by a snowflake, see on this image (layer toolbar II):

http://www.caddmanager.com/CMB/uploaded_images/Layer2ToolBar-796371.jpg

Layers in Viewports

AutoCAD beginners can operate quite effectively using the On/Off, Freeze/Thaw and Lock/Unlock layer states. However, when you start using Paper Space you will need to understand how to control the visibility of layers in different viewports. By default, all layers are visible in all viewports. However, you can use the "Freeze in current viewport" option to selectively freeze layers in different viewports. This is done by clicking the  icon in a layer list when you are in Floating Model Space. This subject is covered in greater detail in the Paper Space tutorial. The viewport layer icons are greyed out when you are in Tiled Model Space.

1 Like

Hello

If possible with the "Isolate" ("_layiso") command.

- You have to place yourself in the window in which you want to apply the filtering (windowed object mode),

- Launch the command "_layiso" (don't forget the underscore),

- Select the objects that will remain visible,

- Exit Windowed Object mode.

Be careful, if you forget entities linked to other layers, you will have to start over!

A+

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!

The "LAYFRZ" command is the opposite of what I wanted to do, but the result obtained is the one I expected. I validate this answer.

The "_layiso" command makes the edit for the whole drawing, not just for the current window, but thanks anyway.

See you soon!

1 Like

Negative!

The isolate command distinguishes windows well if it is applied in "Windowed object" mode , i.e. when you double click in a window in the paper space (tested on AutoCAD 2015 and AutoCAD LT 2011).

A+

Sorry EricR but...

I'm on AutoCAD 2014.

I reordered to make sure I didn't talk nonsense.

I'm used to using it, I go through the icon...

1- I opened 2 windows side by side in my presentation tab.

2- I double-clicked in one of my 2 windows (the edge of my window frame is bold, I'm in my window)

3- I type the command "_LAYISO" on the keyboard

4- Indeed, the layers I select are the only ones that are active. But they're also the only ones that are active in my window next door. If I go back to my object tab, there too, they're the only ones that are active.

5- To return to the initial state of the layers, you have to type the command "_LAYUNISO", or go through the icon on the screen.

For the record, my initial request was about being able to isolate different layers in different windows, in order to make themed shots:  for example, I work in VRD. I have to draw up a road surface plan, a sanitation plan, and a network plan.

I have a common object tab in my overall plan, and I play around with layer management in my presentations.

Eric R, I may be making a mistake in my "_LAYISO" order. If so, please tell me which one?

In the meantime, thank you for your interest, and have a good day!

Hello MJT,

I think I found why! You have to change a parameter:

- Launches the ISOLATE command

- PArameters > Doff > gElfen

- Select the desired objects in your window

Does it have to work now?

Looking forward to helping you (sorry for the best answer :-( )

Eric R.

1 Like

YES, YES, YES!

TOO STRONG EricR.

That's exactly it!

I suspected that there was a parameter story in there.

Sorry for the best answer...

I'm new to this site, next time I won't rush to award it...

(The LAYFRZ command is not bad either, but yours fits my expectations)

Thank you again for your precious help!

@+