Add a view label in vba

Hello

Is it possible to add a VBA view label?

https://help.solidworks.com/2019/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_view_labels.htm

I did find a code to read them but nothing on how to create one on a view.

Currently I add a note that I center in relation to the view but when you change the scale of the sheet or the view the annotation is no longer centered (unlike a view label created manually.)

Set swView = swDraw.CreateDrawViewFromModelView3(sOutputFolder + ".sldprt", "*Isométrique", 0.15, 0.17, 0)
swView.UseSheetScale = True
bRet = swView.SetDisplayMode3(False, swSHADED, False, True)
iDisplayIn = swDisplayTangentEdges_e.swTangentEdgesVisible
iDisplayIn = swDisplayTangentEdges_e.swTangentEdgesVisibleAndFonted
swView.SetDisplayTangentEdges2 (iDisplayIn)
swView.ReferencedConfiguration = V(i)

'************************************************************************
'Ci-dessous la partie à modifié pour avoir une note de type Label de vue
'************************************************************************
'On ajoute la note
                    Dim swNote As SldWorks.Note
                    Dim swAnnotation As SldWorks.Annotation
                    Dim ViewCorners As Variant
                    'get view corner locations
                    ViewCorners = swView.GetOutline

'lock view focus so note will move if corresponding view moved
                    swView.FocusLocked = True

'create note
                    Set swNote = swDraw.InsertNote("Symétrique")

'set note angle
                    swNote.Angle = 0

'set note to center justification
                    swNote.SetTextJustification (swTextJustificationCenter)

'set note is balloon to no
                    swNote.SetBalloon 0, 0

'get note annotation object
                    Set swAnnotation = swNote.GetAnnotation

'set note leader to none
                    swAnnotation.SetLeader2 False, 0, True, False, False, False

'locate note center and 5mm below from bottom edge of view bounding box
                    Dim Viewish As String
                    Viewish = (ViewCorners(0) + ViewCorners(2)) / 2
                    swAnnotation.SetPosition Viewish, ViewCorners(1) + 0.001, 0

'unlock  view focus
                    swView.FocusLocked = False

Hello sbadenis,

I haven't found any VBA information to do what you want ... However, it is possible to get around this problem by setting the view label at the time of inserting your isometric view by changing the document options. This can be done using vba by first raising the value in the options and then modifying it as desired before returning it to its initial value after inserting the view.

Small example:

Sub main()

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks
    Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
    Dim swDraw As SldWorks.DrawingDoc
    Dim swView As SldWorks.View
    Dim bret As Boolean

Set swApp = CreateObject("SldWorks.Application")
    Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc
    Set swDraw = swModel

Debug.Print "Vues autres - " & swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_AddViewLabelOnViewCreation, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)
    bret = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_AddViewLabelOnViewCreation, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, True)

Set swView = swDraw.CreateDrawViewFromModelView3(sOutputFolder + ".sldprt", "*Isométrique", 0.15, 0.17, 0)
    bret = swView.SetDisplayMode3(False, swSHADED, False, True)
    iDisplayIn = swDisplayTangentEdges_e.swTangentEdgesVisible
    iDisplayIn = swDisplayTangentEdges_e.swTangentEdgesVisibleAndFonted
    swView.SetDisplayTangentEdges2 (iDisplayIn)

bret = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_AddViewLabelOnViewCreation, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, False)
    Debug.Print "Vues autres - " & swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_AddViewLabelOnViewCreation, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)

End Sub

For other settings to change, see HERE.

Kind regards

1 Like

The code looks functional, but for now it doesn't add anything, I'm looking at how to modify the name option to put "Symmetrical" and how to modify the layer to put "Dimensioning" and then restore the original settings.

When you modify the 2 options manually and insert a view manually, it works, so once the 2 options are modified in vba, it should work.

After several tries it still doesn't work, I tried to add this before the creation of the view, without it changing anything:

bRet = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceInteger(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingMiscView_Name, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, swDetailingViewLabelsName_e.swDetailingViewLabelsName_custom)
bRet = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceString(swUserPreferenceStringValue_e.swDetailingMiscView_CustomName, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, "Essai")

I also tried to remove the line to uncheck the option and if I return the option (Other/Add View Label...) in the menu is not ticked which I find surprising. (especially since the debug.print tells me that the option is true)

A little more complete code that works perfectly for me, provided you put a valid filename for the sldprt and have the slddrw started and open in SW:

Option Explicit

Sub main()

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks
    Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
    Dim swDrawModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
    Dim swDraw As SldWorks.DrawingDoc
    Dim swView As SldWorks.View
    Dim DisplayIn As Integer
    Dim bret As Boolean
    Dim monFichierPrt as string

Set swApp = CreateObject("SldWorks.Application")
    Set swDraw = swModel

' Voir https://help.solidworks.com/2021/English/api/swconst/DP_ViewLabels-Other.htm
    Dim bRetNameView As Boolean
    bRetNameView = swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_AddViewLabelOnViewCreation, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)
    Debug.Print "1 - " & bRetNameView
    bret = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_AddViewLabelOnViewCreation, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, True)
    Debug.Print "1 - " & swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_AddViewLabelOnViewCreation, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)

Dim bIntNameViewType As Integer
    bIntNameViewType = swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceInteger(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingMiscView_Name, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)
    Debug.Print "2 - " & bIntNameViewType
    bret = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceInteger(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingMiscView_Name, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, swDetailingViewLabelsName_custom)
    Debug.Print "2 - " & bIntNameViewType

Dim bStringNameView As String
    bStringNameView = swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceString(swUserPreferenceStringValue_e.swDetailingMiscView_CustomName, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingSectionView)
    Debug.Print "3 - " & bStringNameView
    bret = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceString(swUserPreferenceStringValue_e.swDetailingMiscView_CustomName, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, "Symétrique")
    Debug.Print "3 - " & swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceString(swUserPreferenceStringValue_e.swDetailingMiscView_CustomName, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingSectionView)

Dim bStringNameLayer As String
    bStringNameLayer = swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceString(swUserPreferenceStringValue_e.swDetailingLayer, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)
    Debug.Print "4 - " & bStringNameLayer
    bret = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceString(swUserPreferenceStringValue_e.swDetailingLayer, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, "Cotations")
    Debug.Print "4 - " & swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceString(swUserPreferenceStringValue_e.swDetailingLayer, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)

bret = swView.SetDisplayMode3(False, swSHADED, False, True)
    DisplayIn = swDisplayTangentEdges_e.swTangentEdgesVisible
    DisplayIn = swDisplayTangentEdges_e.swTangentEdgesVisibleAndFonted
    swView.SetDisplayTangentEdges2 (DisplayIn)

bret = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_AddViewLabelOnViewCreation, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, bRetNameView)
    Debug.Print "1 - " & swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_AddViewLabelOnViewCreation, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)

End Sub

Kind regards

1 Like

I just tried and the view is well inserted but no Label.

Debug.Print Result:

1 - False
1 - True
2 - 0
2 - 0
3 -
3 -
4 -
4 -
1 - False

Maybe something in my general options that is blocking.

Can you give me the result of your Debug.Print when it works? Maybe this will help me identify the problem.

For Debug.print:

1 - False
1 - True
2 - 1
2 - 1
3 - 
3 - Symmetrical
4 - 
4 - Quotes
1 - False

So it's the value 2 that is probably blocking you. You may have the value "According to the standard" checked, which I don't. If so, try unchecking it...

If it comes from there, then it will also have to be managed by code.

Kind regards 

1 Like

Hello

I just added this (option according to the standard is checked):

Dim bRetViewOption As Boolean
bRetViewOption = swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_PerStandard, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)
Debug.Print "1.5 - " & bRetNameView
bRet = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_PerStandard, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, True)
Debug.Print "1.5 - " & swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_PerStandard, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)

The result:

1 - False
1 - True
1.5 - False
1.5 - True
2 - 0
2 - 0
3 - Symmetrical
3 - Symmetrical
4 -
4 -
1 - False

But no Symmetrical text on the view...

There must be one option that blocks me.

Hello

There's some mixing in the air, replace your lines with these:

Dim bRetViewOption As Boolean
    bRetViewOption = swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_PerStandard, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)
    'Debug.Print "1.5 - " & bRetNameView
    Debug.Print "1.5 - " & bRetViewOption
    bret = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_PerStandard, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView, False)
    Debug.Print "1.5 - " & swModel.Extension.GetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDetailingMiscView_PerStandard, swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingMiscView)

Kind regards

1 Like

Problem solved by adding the 2 lines below

Set swDraw = swModel

My macro creates an unfolded view on sheet 1 then I added a sheet 2 but swModel and SwDraw stayed on the 1st sheet...

Now it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for the help @d.roger, I learned a lot more!

1 Like