Apply upholstery to the piece

Hi all

I'm desperately trying to apply a padding (in red below ), in volume (no texture), on the blue surface of my room:

I struggle with the winding and also with how to achieve the upholstery volume.

Thank you for your precious help!!

And put a texture? Wouldn't that be simpler?

1 Like

1 Like

Hello

Without texture it's not easy but you can make a round or square boss then apply a rounding and finally make a linear repetition (or I think there is another function but I can't find it anymore).

1 Like

I tend to agree with Alain.ERP.

The problem with doing the upholstery "in real life" is that you will ask a lot of useless resources from your pc/station just to calculate and build the upholstery. As a result, you will weigh down your piece and the assemblies in which it will fit (if it is there several times, yes yes yes!)

And I'm not talking about the time you're going to spend on it for a model.

Is it really important for you to have it other than in texture?

Hello

Is it a solidworks rendering Alain? I say this because on the entire periphery of the ball, you can really see the relief, I didn't think that with solidworks you can see the relief to this point.

Hello, I take the liberty of answering on the geometry which best imitates the Capitonage rendering.

It is a succession of 1/2 sphere.

To make on your part I would create the 1/2 sphere rosary on the oblong EXT then repeat on the length of the extrusion I work under CATIA but there must be equivalent functions under SW.

But I agree with the others on the fact that it's going to be a heavy file but hey when it's for a 3D impression you don't really have a choice.

I do need to model it in volume, because the part is intended to be 3D printed.

Here's what I've managed to do so far:

My problems:

1. I can't do a repetition of the Dome function (as a result, I had to apply  the dome function 10 times, to each rectangle obtained by "dividing line"... )
  2. I would have liked to have had more freedom on the shape of each boss.
    Would you have a way to model each of the domes differently? (instead of using the Dome function).  To allow me to better manage tangencies , etc
  3. How do I apply the Domes to the cylinder portions on the rest of my part?

Thank you for your help!!

Hello, to answer your question about repetitions, I think it's normal that you can't repeat a dome in the sense that it's linked to a surface that delimits it.

To overcome this, maybe you should do an extrusion with dome on each side and repeat the whole thing...

and if your body should be hollow, you then apply a removal of matter.

Otherwise to give a different shape, try the smoothed boss/base with guided curves.

You will then repeat this function. I think it should do it.

cap.jpg
2 Likes

I found a hack that I don't like too much but will be enough for the moment to make a 3D print...

In fact, I made a 0.0001mm extrusion of a rectangle (so invisible for my lens)

Apply dome on the outer side

Feature Repetition: Extrusion+Dome

And there, it works.

If someone knows how to do something "cleaner", I'm all for it!

Thank you in any case for your answers