Solidworks ePDM Tree

Hi everyone

I use Solidworks coupled with ePDM and I would like to know if it is possible to manage the display of the tree of an assembly to replace the part name (number generated by ePDM) with a custom property (for example).

Indeed, for large assemblies, a tree structure of parts designated by numbers is not very practical...  The solution I found is to rename the configurations (example below).

If you have a simpler solution, or a different way of working, I'm all for it!

Thank you

Guillaume.

Arborescence Solidworks

I'm not sure it's very wise if EPDM generates its numbers 

it's juicy so that he can find his way around RIGHT?

but if each room has its own personal property you should know what it corresponds to

@+

Hi gt,

To be clearer, I'm not trying to modify the function of ePDM, I just want to display something other than the part name (ePDM number) which in my opinion is not practical to find a part quickly on a large assembly.

Hello

Solidworks uses the record name for the tree (regardless of whether you have ePDM).

It is possible to rename (properties on the file concerned then name of the component) but by ocntre it is to be done manually.

This requires you to uncheck in the general options (extrne references) "Update component names when documents are replaced".

If you want a different way of working, you should review the way your PDM works and use the reference where it should be used, but not necessarily on the filename.

1 Like

Hello Cyril,

Thank you for this answer.

If I understand correctly, it is impossible for solidworks to use anything other than the name of the part for its tree structure?

At the level of the ePDM, is it possible for it to manage the uniqueness of a part other than by assigning a name (number)?

Do you have a different way of working that I can use as inspiration to modify the ePDM?

Thank you

Guillaume

Hello

In the trunk it is possible to go through the uniqueness of a variable (in this case the reference but I think it must already be the case). It will have the same effect on the files, however, it will not prevent duplicate names in the different folders of your vault (which is basically what happens in general, whether you are on a vault or a simple classic storage space).

The 'component descriptions' can be displayed in addition to the file name and configuration name in Soldworks. (click on the tree and go to 'view tree')

Strangely enough, it looks very much like what you need :-)

4 Likes

Thank you for all these answers,

Indeed froussel is what I was looking for! Too bad we can't select another custom property... "Description" will do!

Thank you.

You can choose what you display by right-clicking on the assembly in the tree, view the tree and there you can uncheck the name of the component and choose what you want to display.

I added the designation of our parts to the name of the room (double display but you can display only the description if you want)

You can choose a custom property but I don't know how my colleague did it with us.

arborescence.jpg
1 Like

I found, to display a custom property as a description you have to go to option option of the system and in the general tab choose in custom property used as description the desired property.

proprietee_personalisee_comme_description.jpg
1 Like

Super! My tree structure is starting to look like something! :)

On the other hand, strangely when I go to the options: I don't have any proposal for custom properties to replace "description"...  

In any case, the proposal to hide the name and show the description suits me perfectly for my future designs!

The option may be different on the new versions I am in sw 2014