Solidworks Constrained Assembly

Hi all

I received a native solid step file that I use under solid.

This file is an assembly of components, I have all the components in my tree but they have no constraints.

Is it possible to keep this assembly with all the components fixed, without worrying about the constraint of each of them, I have to use it as a basis for a project.

I searched, I didn't find...

Thanks in advance,

By the way,

Your site is great, I come to it every day, it's a considerable source of responses.

2 Likes

Good evening

When we open a neutral assembly file (STEP, IGES, Paradolid,...) we cannot retrieve the original constraints.

To have a usable assembly without the risk of moving the components, either we redo all the constraints one by one to obtain a functional whole, or we fix all the components! To do this, select all the components (click on the first element of the tree + Shift click on the last one) right/Fixed click. Your components that were previously preceded by a (-) meaning "underconstrained", now have an (f) meaning "fixed". Thus, nothing will move.

9 Likes

Hello and merce for your compliments.

+1 for Benoit ;) It's the easiest way!

6 Likes

in addition to our friend @ Benoit

another walkthrough save your assembly in part

there all the components will be frozen

Good night

@+

8 Likes

Thank you Benoit.LF and gt 22 the two solutions correspond to my needs.

The first one will be retained, just because the second one transforms my volume into a surface, that I don't know the surface because I don't use it.

See you soon

3 Likes

If the gt22 solution is more interested in the principle of having only one file, when saving in sldprt, options are available: outer faces, outer components or all components. By default, SolidWorks saves with the 1st option if you don't choose. So you get surfaces. If you select one of the last 2, you will get volumes.

To be seen depending on the size of the original assembly , but if you were to use large assemblies (several hundred parts for example for a complete machine) I find the part registration solution heavier in loading compared to an assembly.

5 Likes

@joselito,

Remember to validate your answer either for @Benoit.LF or @gt22

1 Like

A little extra tip:

To select all components, you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + A

1 Like