Assembly in Context - SolidWorks

Hello

Who uses top-down assembly (in context) in their business?

Thank you

Alan

1 Like

A little from time to time, why?

I prefer to open the room and edit it, but sometimes I don't have a choice

1 Like

Hello

I also use it from time to time, it depends on the type of assembly.

2 Likes

It's a poll in fact:D :p ^^

1 Like

Hello

I use it to recover clutter and then the finished room I break the link to make the room independent.

may the force be with you.

Happy holidays.

4 Likes

Hello

like OBI WAN, but sometimes I keep the links if necessary part evolution in the context (for small assemblies).

Happy holidays too.

1 Like

yes @Bart, a kind of poll.

With a few questions to come.

;]

Except to recover the positions of the holes from one room to another without going back and forth multiple times, we avoid: I noticed that it tended to crash SW.

A colleague and I were working on the same project: he tended to make changes in the context and I opened the room to be modified: he regularly crashed even though his machine was newer and more efficient.

2 Likes

I see that no one is using this drawing option systematically.

rather on an ad hoc basis, to simplify a part of the design.

And as @stefbeno says, it could quickly become "heavy" if the assembly is done only with links.

1 Like

Personally, I see the study in the context as a kind of "draft", where it is then preferable to remodel the parts and make a classic bottom-up assembly.

2 Likes

Theoretically this would be the right method, the problem is having to remodel the parts, the time saved becomes insignificant  or even negative.

1 Like

Hello Alain,

From time to time we use it too, but for some recent assemblies we have done it entirely.

For example, for baffles of different sizes, we change the 3 sides (height, width, thickness)

and all the sheets adjust to the "skeleton" sketch.

1 Like

Same thing as Fab camp, I use assembly in the context to make a slightly crooked hopper that may evolve into a study debit. I draw the inner template block and then I make my sheets in position so that if I enlarge my block the different sheets enlarge themselves.

Otherwise I avoid as much as possible, because when you change a part others can evolve and if you don't know how it was designed it can quickly be a headache. Especially when the deal has already been launched and you just want to make a modification on one part and not all the dependent ones.

1 Like

We use the assembly in the context for all of our mechanically welded valve bodies.

By putting all the parts of the assembly in virtual is the best: easy copy of the assembly and its drawing, we control everything via a 3D sketch in the assembly. so getting a DN100 body to transform it into DN400 is child's play if you don't change the number/shape of the parts.

On the other hand, our parts are virtual and have no life outside of the assembly and its associated drawing.

It is strongly discouraged if you use your part in X assemblies (because it will only be controlled by one of the assemblies using it: very high risk of monitoring updates and associated assembly problems...)

1 Like

In many cases, I've seen external references misused, or when it's not necessary...

It's a function that makes Solidworks saturated very quickly (like propeller, or heavy repeat,...)

Very often, with other methods of making the sketches in the rooms

+ the judicious use of basic plans, so as to have symmetrical constructions in the rooms

+ added build geometry to put constraints in ASMs

= make it possible to do without external references.

And then leaving a "dynamic" external reference when the positions are fixed, is to lose resources, sometimes a lot for nothing... (lock-unlock)

After when the context really lends itself to it, yes I use external references.

There is an option to be able to use external references with multiple contexts, I think, but I never needed to use it.

After that, you have to know where you want to go in the end, how far you want to assemble, for some a component with all its details is its highest level, for another this same component will only be like a nut in its highest level.