Assembly

Hello

Can we insert an assembly inside another assembly.

Thank you

1 Like
Hello in SolidWorks there is no problem. Just do the manipulation 2 times.

Yes absolutely, but you can't assemble an assembly in its assembly!

1 Like

Thank you for your contributions, but how to do the manipulation twice. 

My problem is that I have drawn a cylinder (assembly) and I would like to insert it into another machine (also assembly).

Thank you

When you are in the assembly of the machine, add the assembly of the cylinder as if it were a part you wanted to assemble

3 Likes

In your assembly, simply insert your sub-assembly as you do for a normal part. Except that it's an assembly.

3 Likes

Well, you have to save it as an assembly and slide it into the other assembly.

There is also the possibility to create an assembly in your assembly by selecting the different components in the tree and with the right click create an assembly here.

To follow this, we can register the secondary assembly created in the primary assembly internally or externally. This is decided when the primary assembly is closed or the secondary assembly is requested to be registered internally or externally (SLDASM specific file).

1 Like

or you open your two windows, (the general assembly and your cylinder assembly.)

and you click on your cylinder assembly, in the build shaft, and you drag it into the window of your general assembly.

1 Like
See this video tutorial in French (the operation is the same for inserting an assembly as for a part):

Inserting Components with SolidWorks: http://youtu.be/kIxHJGJf9QA

Ok but I lost my movement constraints (rod/cylinder), in the shaft the constraints exist but in reality the rod is fixed

To have the possibility of movement constraints it must all be at the first level otherwise it doesn't work

So if you made an assembly with a piston that moves and you put it in another assembly

it will become a sub-assembly and all your movement constraints will be lost

does the opposite 

@+ ;-))

2 Likes

You can recreate two configs in your main assembly.

then in its creation tree you right-click on your "cylinder assembly",

and you click on configure component.

And then you match your configurations of the general assembly with those of the cylinder assembly.

If you want your cylinder (subassembly) to be able to "move" in your assembly, you need to make it flexible: Right-click on the cylinder subassembly, property, then check the "Flexible" box in the "Resolve as" box.

3 Likes

Philip B, the option solve as is inactive at my place!

Y.Benhamed, your cylinder is really an assembly? Isn't it more of a room in which you would have created several bodies?

You have to choose the flexible option, see this link:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/Flexible_Sub-assemblies.htm

you are under which version SW posts your assembly and your parts to really understand your problem

If you want a part of your sub-assembly to move in a first-level assembly it won't work

each part that moves must be on the first level so in your basic general assembly

or I want to be proven wrong ;-)

@+ 

@Gt22, Here is a tutorial, found on youtube, sorry but the proof is in English.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hbOqNiFBw

@sebastien-gault

I just watched the video

so yes under flexible assembly in a minimalist assembly it works

therefore a minimum of constraints at the level of the first level assembly

Do the same thing with x sub-assembly in a first-level assembly and we'll talk about it again

I got quite. r to understand and allow me to answer on the subject and am unfortunately not the only one ;-)

unless 2014/2015 is made of miracles ;-)

which I doubt very much

@+ ;-))