Are you having problems with the SolidWorks Network license?

Hello

In my institution, I was offered to switch from Multi-seat licenses (1 license / seat) to a SolidWorks network license.

For those who are in a network, I would have liked your feedback: have you had any problems? What are the disadvantages, the advantages?

Thanks in advance

Alan

Hello

We are in network licenses, and no particular problem except the higher cost!

Of course, you need a stable network and a server where you can install the license server.

When updating SolidWorks, you must first update the server.

5 Likes

For me only advantages.

More flexibility in use.

You install SolidWorks Premium on all your workstations even if you only have 1 SW Premium license.

A single serial number to manage for SolidWorks (and Mycadtools) is better for CAD administration. You can more easily switch to an Administrative installation of SW.

You just have to be careful when you change versions of SolidWorks, you also have to upgrade the license manager.

3 Likes

I used both versions... And I have to admit that the network version offers a lot of advantages.

When you change  your pc for example (or have it stolen from you), you don't have to have transferred the license first.

Not all workstations work on Solidworks at the same time. Especially since you're a teacher I think? As a result, there are no more room possibilities and no longer a single room dedicated to CAD

On the other hand, you have to manage the number of licenses very well, don't forget to disconnect Solidworks when you don't use it anymore... and be sure of your network! It's silly, but if there are frequent breakdowns, it can be problematic.

I found myself in the middle of a design with a micro-cut. As a result, Solidworks lost track of its license... I couldn't record what I was doing. Forcing everything to close, re-open and redo my design.

Well, that was a few years ago, maybe they've improved the thing since then?

5 Likes

Hello

We are under a multi-site network license: the server is in Paris while we work from Lyon. Apart from connection problems, everything works perfectly. In case of a cut, we have a few warning messages and you can continue working. I wasn't careful but recording possible it seems to me. At the end of the 3rd warning, Sldwks closes.

The first to apply for the premium license takes it. If the simulation or other options are auto-start, this license is for the first one who connects.

4 Likes

In fact, how many licenses do you have?

It can be interesting, if you can reduce the number of licenses.

On the other hand, if you want to work on SolidWorks on weekends with a laptop for example, you have to borrow the license before leaving. If you don't, you can't use SolidWorks. It's just a habit to get into.

5 Likes

Hi @.PL

That's for 45 lIcences knowing that we never use so many at the same time. It's rare that all drawing sections have CAD at the same time (I don't think ever). For teachers, (as for our students), we are entitled to a free SDK version, a standard version without toolbox. So no worries about working from home.

1 Like

Hello

Single-user license allows you to install the license on a 2nd personal computer.

Network license: requires to be able to connect to the server of your private computer; which is not always possible!

1 Like

So if you pay for the licenses, it would be interesting to organize the schedule so that there is never more than one class at the same time and plan 5 more licenses just in case!

1 Like

Hello

@gedup: Single-user license authorizes to install the license on a 2nd personal workstation

This has not been true for at least 4 years! It is impossible to install twice with the same license code.

@+

5 Likes

Correct @gedup, single-user licenses no longer allow use on a 2nd workstation.

@.PL, unfortunately the organization of the schedules is already a real headache because there are so many constraints that if I add one, the deputy director scalps me!

I think that networking our 45 licenses will allow us to have all the flexibility so that all rooms equipped with CAD allow the use of SolidWorks. As long as there are no more than 45 of us using it, it's rolling!

3 Likes

Be careful though:

On another forum, someone reports problems with a Samba-Edu network under Linux!

@Coyote,

Did you read that somewhere on the software contract (the thing that no one usually reads)?

Because I had gone from start to finish to get this information. in vain.

Or maybe I wasn't awake and it escaped me:)

1 Like

Your server must absolutely be under Windows Server.

2 Likes

@Azrod, no, it's just impossible to activate the same license twice, that's all.

2 Likes

@Azrod,

It was my reseller who warned me that we could no longer use duplicate licenses as before. That was about 2 or 3 years ago. On the other hand, you can transfer a license, use it elsewhere and then transfer it again and put it on the first set.

1 Like

Hello

I was just going to ask the same question. I also had a little feeling about this but thank you for sharing your experiences. Now, I have a clearer idea of what to expect if I finally decide to switch from Multi-User licenses to a SolidWorks network license.

1 Like