Hello everyone, so here it is, I would like to know how to use SD in sheet metal, let me explain, the problem is not in the design of my part, it's just that I don't know how to find the k-factor, the bending radius, which makes my part good

Hello everyone, so here it is, I would like to know how to use SD in sheet metal, let me explain, the problem is not in the design of my part, it's just that I don't know how to find the k-factor, the bending radius, which makes my part good, but not at develop, also knowing where to find it is information with the different materials, thicknesses but also with the different EVs

Thank you

Hello, unless I'm mistaken, the k factor can vary depending on the box that folds ... In my old box we had them all according to the thickness, we also rated the part in unfolded condition but with the indication "for information only"... Here currently, having several suppliers, we no longer write the K, simply side the finished bent part, possibly see the external dimensions unfolded giving an approximate index of the sheet metal surface to facilitate the costing.

2 Likes

Hello

Unless I'm mistaken, the K factor is more related to the material rather than to the box. It is an imaginary line representing the neutral sheet metal and which varies according to the thickness.

Personally, to find the right K factor, I stack all the inside dimensions of my part, I calculate the theoretical development, I compare with the one proposed by SW, and then I play with the value. Usually 2 - 3 tries are enough to find the right one. I always start from 0.5 and refine.

a+

Hello

Alternatively, you can also use the charts that come with the folding machines. On them there is the bending radius according to the thickness as well as the loss at the folds. For thin thickness (up to 5mm) we take the inner ribs because very little difference in the press...

1 Like

When I was talking about the boxes, yes Ac Cobra, I meant according to the folding machines they have, because from experience, for the same material, a long time ago, we had a different k factor depending on the supplier, so we don't take this factor into account anymore not knowing in advance who we are going to have manufactured with, It's the supplier who gets by with...