Hello, what simulation software can model plastic parts made on 3D printers (non-isotropic)? Thank you

Good evening

can you elaborate

For us:

1. modeling is Solidworks CAD (we draw the parts)
  2. The objective of doing simulation is to verify the resistance of materials.
  3. The material is defined in the Model (3D CAD)
  4. In the SolidWorks simulation  module, the material defined in the modeler is used. All materials defined by Solidworks USA or by you if you wish, are used without any complication in Simulation.

So please specify what you want to do precisely.

Kind regards

Hello Bertrand

Can you use the body of the message and not the title to formulate your needs.

This is the custom on all forums around the world ;-)

I also note that you are doing the same for CATIA and Solidworks, know that the difference is above all a huge difference in cost.

- CATIA is a "hypertrèscherware" while solidworks is only a "trèscherware": both in comparison to freeware, neither of which for the latter does simulation to my knowledge

Kind regards

Thank you for your answers.

Since the properties of the deposited materials seem to depend largely on the conditions of deposit (speed, etc.). I wonder if there is a software to characterize the deposited material and therefore calculate the strength of the manufactured part.

Thank you

I don't think such software exists, the parameters are subject to too many variables (yarn supplier, printing temperature, speed, printing direction according to x, Y or Z  axis, type of filling...)

All these different parameters mean that no software can give a reliable result with FDM printing.

Hello

Are you looking for modeling software or do you want to make calculations on your parts before printing?

The question is which software allows you to model.... That's why there is different space when you write a message, question and definition of the request.

For the resistance calculations I am of the same opinion as sbadenis, for lowcost machines (individual) in my opinion you will not find software, for professional machines it must exist because the parameters are very well defined but it will be expensive.

Kind regards

Hello bertrand.chabanol

Think again: the deposition properties are homogeneous and the isotropic or anisotropic character is NS with respect to the mechanical properties.

In the following, I put aside small wire deposition printers like REPRAP or kit printers.

What for? for several reasons!

1. For professional printers, the material after deposit is very homogeneous regardless of the technology (wire, powder, STereoLitho) and therefore does not need software that would be useless anyway for several reasons.
  2. If there is to be a defect, it could only be localized and on a very small dimension less than 100and in a dimensional volume less than mm³.
  3. No software will be able to predict or indicate a posteriori where a defect has occurred. It is for this simple reason that no manufacturer would dare to try to develop such software.
  4. For 3D printing, there are rules to follow depending on the type of machine (for example, no partition smaller than 0.6 mm for lattice structures)
  5. Classical PEF simulation software shows us that even under conditions where topological optimization is pushed to the maximum (and even worse if we do generative topology), it still takes a lot for a very small area to significantly weaken the part, which has a safety factor anyway. Make holes of 0.5 to 1 mm in a part and look at the influence on the result of the classic simulation, that's NS.
  6. The entire industry, faced with its possibilities of random defects, has set up multiple destructive but above all non-destructive controls to protect against defects, but only in certain types of manufacturing.  Microscopic metallography requires very advanced techniques to know the internal structure of a metal that can reveal the defect if there is no defect in the sample taken: in other words, never. Even with a foundry, the probability of running into the gassing bubble is practically zero, and there are other methods for casting parts.
  7. Etc.. etc...

Kind regards

2 Likes