Compute across multiple configurations

Hello

I would like advice on how to easily perform calculations on Solidworks Simulation for a hundred configurations of the same part file.

To give some context: I am in the process of developing and standardizing a new range of products, and now I have to perform the strength calculations of the load-bearing parts to adjust the dimensions according to various criteria.

I have a Solidworks file with simple geometry, configurations managed by a family of parts, and a proven calculation method on many previous specific studies, but the idea of having to create and configure all the simulation studies by hand scares me a bit.

Each study will have to point to a different configuration, use different loading values and the mesh will also have to evolve according to the size of the parts. Doing all this by hand will be extremely tedious, with a non-zero risk of error and the calculations will be quite long once everything is put together.

Do you think we can automate this in some way, perhaps through the family of parts?

Additional info: I'm on SW14 Standard SP3 with Solidworks Simulation Professional.

Thank you in advance.

Hello

By macro?!

On the other hand, I'll leave the rest to the real pros... ^^

1 Like

Hello

If you have Simulation Professional, you have to use optimization.

Right-click on a tab at the bottom (template for example) and start design study!

Look at the help or one of the tutorials on the subject of design studies or optimization.

@+

2 Likes

Hi @ Chatnoir

See this link

http://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworksfrance/2014/01/comparer-les-resultats-de-simulation-avec-les-configurations.html

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

@gt22, the comparison is only possible once all the configurations have been calculated, but this does not start the calculations on each configuration.

@+

Thank you for your answers.

I also think Tomalam, that macros could answer any part of the problem, but I have to admit that I never really dove into it. :(

@Coyote, I used optimization a little a few years ago in advanced training, but if my memory is correct, it only partially answers my problem and not necessarily the most painful part.

From what I remember, optimization varies dimensions on a config according to various criteria. For the optimization part, I know what to play on, it's quite easy (even if a bit long)

@gt22, I know the comparison of results, but my configs do not represent different versions of the same part on which I would like to compare design ideas but different parts. We will have parts from 100g to maybe 100kg in the end.

In fact, my main problem lies in the creation, the parameterization (of loads, mesh) and the calculations of all the studies (a hundred) without having to enter everything by hand.

Now a little intern to start the 100 calculations... No? ;)

3 Likes

@ChatNoir, if you are in SW 2014, it is now possible to control not only the dimensions of the models but also the values of the loads; The goal is to create x scenarios that will be calculated automatically.

@+

1 Like

if it's like you just said pieces from 100 g to 100Kg

It's

1. plus the same parts
  2. plus the same refs
  3. plus a family of parts
  4. plus the same configue

so find a law, a rule of study

it's not going to be easy since not the same parameters to control

I leave the hand, I pass my turn

@+ ;-)