Center of gravity

Hello everyone,

I have a question about materials in Solidworks: I need to calculate the center of gravity of a set that contains water, until the end of >>the Solidworks Solid

On the other hand I have to "fill" my assembly with water, the problem is that I don't have the "Water" material. Without water the result will be wrong, and therefore useless.

It is important for us to know this center of gravity, it is a swivel-mounted assembly and it must be of aplomp.

Thank you all and have a good day!

Hello

Why not create a "WATER" material?

5 Likes

Do you have to create a water material with the adhoc density

you create the volume of water in your room

After the rest you know

@+ ;-)

3 Likes

In fact I'm waiting to see if anyone had the water material in reserve I think ;)

I don't have it but here is the density: ρ (water) = 1000 kg.m-3

6 Likes

I would say no need to create or have a water material... unless you want to do simulation calculation or you have to have the Poisson coefficient, Young's modulus... but I'm not sure it's useful...

By default, the document template must be defined with a material density of 0.001 g/mm^3... which from memory corresponds to 1kg/litre... I think it's the density of the water... -_-

Now if it doesn't and if a material is set by default, just delete the material... and to go into the properties of the document and to fill in the density  :)

densite_eau.jpg
3 Likes

There is indeed a WATER material in SW (In the "Other nonmetals" folder)

image_1159.png
5 Likes

Hello, you can simply assign a mass of the volume value to this body without bothering to create a material. The mass will be assigned to the cdg of the body ...

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid I don't understand! Can we assign to a "containing" room (a tank for example) a material with what characterizes it (the density in this case), and, still in this same room,  another material that could be called "Water"? Even if the piece is "multicpors", I have my doubts!

Personally, if the whole thing we are talking about is an assembly, I would be tempted to add a piece called "Contained Water" and associated with a material "Pure Water at 20°C" with a density of the same density as we know. There would be less concern for the possible management of the water level and also of the MEP (Planning). Finally, the whole thing is mounted on a pivot so I guess that the containing part(s) rotate along an axis. Water too?

Kind regards

MC

Rather agree to only fill in the density of the water instead of creating a material (if you don't have it in the library as shown @ACO). It can also be accessed from the Mass Properties tool.

As for having multiple materials on a multi-body @caronmaxime part, it's possible since a few SW versions. Go to the volume bodies folder and right-click on one of the bodies. From there, you can assign a different material to it than the one entered for the overall part.

As for the fish coefficient, it takes 1l of water for 1cm of adult-sized fish in freshwater and 5l of water for 1cm of fish in seawater, only aquarists will have understood. OK I'm going out... ;-D

3 Likes

@caronmaxime

Yes, we can assign a density to a volume containing but to do so we must represent it by a volume body to which we give this property. After for the movements, it's another story, it's up to you to vary the volume of your body (content) according to the position of your container.

1 Like

A question on the subject?

you have a container that contains a mass of water (volume 1dm3 = 1 kg)

This volume (content) is free to move due to the position of its support (container)

How do you go about seeing the balance of the fixing points of this container?

Several assemblies with different volume schemes?

@+ ;-)

Here is a screenshot of a very simple system that I made to test the "Center of Mass" function.

centre_de_masse.jpg