Looking for a workstation for about 1200 euros without a screen? Used or new

to work on CATIA V5 r18 all advice is welcome graphics card etc ... currently I work with an old packard bell 9910, ram 2 GB, plus NVIDIA 9600 GT 1 GB and it's a hassle, especially for rendering.

Hello 

if you know a little about computer science you keep your tower you put a 77 chipset motherboard in it with a good processor (i7 is good) and a good quadro nvidia or Fire ATI card

16GB of ram 

a 15000 tower hard disk or a 500GB SSD

A Win7Pro license and it's already going well

When recommending a CAD workstation, we have from experience tended to recommend the replacement of the complete tower, preferably avoiding assemblers and redirecting to market leaders (Dell or HP not to mention them but there are others)

typical of a standard station would have characteristics of the

• Intel Xeon E5-1620 processor (4 cores, 3.60 GHz)
  • 8GB RAM
  • NVIDIA Quadro 2000 graphics card (1GB video memory)
  • Windows 7 in 64-bit
  • 300 GB hard drive at 15,000 rpm  

Budget level on the other hand, in new 1200€ seems a bit fair to me but it is always possible to have a quote issued directly on the site www.mycadstore.fr

3 Likes

Hello

It seems very difficult to find a high-performance workstation for €1,200 without neglecting one or two essential components such as the hard drive or the graphics card.

Indeed, as SEPM says . Gerald , it is possible to upgrade your workstation if the user has some notions of computer integration (risk of breakage, incompatible component...), however the money spent on this upgrade will be far too high compared to the performance gain you will have.

The ideal is to go to a leader as fthhomas answered , such as DELL or HP where you will have to add a few hundred euros to get a reliable station for a minimum period of 3 years.

FYI, there is a hardware group on the Lynkoa: Hardware site specific to CAD, where we discuss this kind of questioning.

1 Like

Hi @  basth.didier

your version   is in 32 or 64bit

which determines which  version windaube   32 or 64 bit

not sure if CATIA V5 r18 runs on W7 64 bit

it's the Windaube version that will determine the amount of Ram

for 32 bit the max of active memory is 3 g

in 64 bit it's the number of slots that limits the amount of Ram

for the processor it's the speed (3GHz recommended) 

@ Fthomas ' choice is very relevant I will put it

an SSD for the system and programs and a DD data storage

a PRO Graphics Card......................... AMD, NVIDEA

I have a pre-interest for NVIDEA + confirmed driver

an HP Workstation , dell 

second-hand and other 

http://www.materiel-informatique-occasion.com/stations-de-travail-occasion_147_0_0_0_p2-cX.html

http://www.microkdo.com/products_new.php

@+

1 Like

re

You also have the option below

Dell Precision M4600 - Intel Core i7 8 GB RAM - 750 GB HDD - 15" screen

http://www.priceminister.com/offer?action=desc&aid=601086045&productid=186061463

To add:

a docking station, a screen 

you end up with a versatile workstation that + is transportable

At home you can benefit from the double screen of the laptop and the fixed screen 24..27 inches

and the possibility of replaying an SSD 

@+

Workstations from major manufacturers are interesting because of their reliability, but you should know that it is necessary to take the right configurations.  from the start because you don't get bothered when buying spare parts (RAM, HDD, etc ... compatible) even more if these are used more than 2 years.

A config assembly can be reliable by using components of recognized quality.

The big brands only make motherboards, the rest are "commercial parts" sometimes a little modified 

GT22 made a very interesting remark about software version 32 or 64 which may limit the choices.

In price, an Evolution i7 4770 Haswell+MB+8GB RAM kit costs around 570€, an SSD or a Velociraptor 250€ and a Pro video card 450€ which already brings us to 1270€ for an already powerful configuration.

then a touch of madness... a nice case at 150€ liquid cooling at 200€ an extra 1TB hard drive at 90€ (which I recommend in simple storage because they are very slow) keyboard mouse 120€ (50€ if there are cords and the USB socket at the end)

and we arrive at 1830€ 

Compared with other offers