DAO Choice

Hello

I am currently under the influence of an economic redundancy, and therefore with the possibility of being entitled to additional training. To this day, and for the past 10 years, I have been using Solid Edge (v19) as a designer of special machines for the agricultural industry in the Bordeaux region.

Today I wonder about possible choices:

To complete my Solid Edge knowledge?

Do a Solid Works training?

Do a Catia training?

Your comments could be good advice, to help me make the right choice. Thank you

Hello

Solidworks remains the most widely used software. You only have to look at the ads to see this (unfortunately).

6 Likes

And I'm not saying that to sell Solidworks since I work on CREO!

3 Likes

Hello

I work in the agricultural mechanics sector. So close to yours?

We use SW like most of our colleagues or subcontractors.

I wish you every success in your professional development.

3 Likes

As everyone works and knows Solidworks, choose Creo in training instead.

This will allow you to stand out from the crowd and apply with little competition to companies that are looking for Creo users.

S.B

8 Likes

Hello

In the special machine sector, SolidWorks is very widespread!

The agricultural machinery companies I know in my geographical area are also on SW.

Good luck for the future.

3 Likes

Hello

I think that adapting from one software to another does not require a huge effort!

So why not do a SolidWorks discovery training which is the most common (to have a good foundation and not be fooled by beginner's mistakes) and one of the easiest to learn, plus an in-depth training in another software such as Catia or Creo?

Good luck!

Edit: I think that after 10 years of using Solid Edge, a training course would only have a minimal benefit!

The perverse effect for a recruiter when seeing a CV with a lot of software may be that he thinks that you don't master any of them, so adapt the CV to the company by highlighting the recent training!

And one last note: AutoCAD is still in high demand!

3 Likes

Roughly speaking, most software looks the same.

So, as advised s.b., you might be better off training on one of the two big guys Creo or Catia. This would allow you to stand out from the crowd on your resume.

And for the moment, I more encoe that with Creo you really go out ... very few people use it in France and you are therefore becoming a rare commodity for companies that work with it

2 Likes

Thank you for your responsiveness.

Creo, I only know by name. What a difference with the list of classics SE, SW. I don't really know any users. In Gironde, I also have the possibility of extending my future job searches to aeronautics, or aeronautical subcontracting. Is Creo used in this area too?

@+

Hello:

The PB of training is that if you don't put it into practice, you forget quite quickly.

I would look at job offers.

This gives a good idea of which sectors are recruiting  and which software comes out on top

cao-emplois.com Aquitaine region

Good luck for the future

3 Likes

The easiest way would perhaps be to search in your region on CAO-emploi for example, by seeing the number of software ads by region!

For example, with Creo (formerly Pro-Engineer), there are 4 pages of answers:

http://www.cao-emplois.com/intl/jobseeker/jobs/jrp.aspx?exCrit=st%3da%3buse%3dALL%3bCID%3dFR%3bSID%3dB%3bTID%3d0%3bLOCCID%3dFR%3bENR%3dNO%3bDTP%3dDRNS%3bYDI%3dYES%3bIND%3dALL%3bPDQ%3dAll%3bPDQ%3dAll%3bPAYL%3d0%3bPAYH%3dgt120%3bPOY%3dNO%3bETD%3dALL%3bRE%3dALL%3bMGT%3dDC%3bSUP%3dDC%3bFRE%3d30%3bCHL%3dIL%3bQS%3dsid_unknown%3bSS%3dNO%3bTITL%3d0%3bJQT%3dRAD%3bJDV%3dFalse%3bSITEENT%3dCEJ%3bMaxLowExp%3d-1%3bRecsPerPage%3d25%3bSOFTID%3dCESOF15

2 Likes

If you are looking for aero: Catia V5!

Edit: as indicated by @.PL, AutoCAD is still in high demand, and is not limited to industry: technical building packages work almost exclusively with it!

2 Likes

This is less and less true Benoit.LF. 

I had done an interview in a civil engineering company that told me that it was switching to 3D to be able to see the interactions of the pipes and wiring with the ceiling floor (yes, well, each one has his reason for switching to 3D eh)

On the other hand, if you want to switch to cars or aeronautics, it's Catia direct. (Dassault obliges for aeronautics;) )

Creo is very ... Anglo-Saxon as a way of doing things. But it's very good for the surface (just like Catia).

If it is useful to have been trained, I am not ok to say that it is useless. For Creo for example, I had seen Pro-Engineer during my studies (7 years ago) ... and hasn't been touched since. Then last year I had to switch to Creo. 

Well, although the version is more recent than during my studies, I was happy to know the environment through my "estudentine training" and know what to look for where. Because that's really the point. It's knowing what the software allows you or doesn't allow you to do and knowing the way the software thinks.

3 Likes

@coin37coin: I ask to see! :-)

I work with fluid design designers (ventilation, electricity, plumbing, etc.), who work on large-scale projects: they have only seen one 3D project, that was 3 years ago! Everything else is done on AutoCAD!

1 Like

@El pescaro,

For your SolidWorks training:

Axemble Bordeaux

Building 3
Canteranne Park
31 Avenue de la Canteranne
33608 Pessac Cedex

Switchboard: +33(0)5 34 46 01 79 - Fax: +33(0)5 61 72 16 74

1 Like

What, would you imply that they oversold me their concept during the interview? ;)

Although I think so too, I still think that civil engineering will also migrate to 3D in the more or less long term. I've been working with them a little for a year, and I feel that they are still seriously titillating. After that, it's like everywhere, you have to question things that have been anchored for years

1 Like

Hello

To know the Bordeaux area and SO in general very well...

Yes, a Creo (Pro-E) training would make it possible to stand out from the crowd. However: how many customers on dpt 33, 47, 40? and what's more, in the agricultural machinery...

The best thing to do is to ask the question in a precise and very concrete way to 4Cad ProE reseller

For SolidWorks, at least 400 customers across all industries. Not all of them are in the agricultural sector, but there are some great references.

Otherwise it's Catia: here we are in the Aero sector with other issues and other types of user companies.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Thank you again for all your answers.

Autocad, I think I've mastered it enough, because after I started skateboarding, I switched to CAD about 18 years ago. 

Normally, I also have to meet a person from the employment centre, as part of the CSP, who should allow me to choose a career path.

Lately, in the company where I worked (for 15 years, and) especially the last few years, I managed the file from the preliminary project to the detailed plans (and also the follow-up of fab. ). The CAD and SolidEdge suited me quite well (even the V19). As an "old designer", and a lot of self-training, I still have a little trouble taking the step of direct creation in CAD. Having followed and participated in a few challenges, I feel my delay when I discover the presentations of other competitors and especially the times spent, and displayed (of Greg, Benoit.LF, Bart, franck.barraud, sbrousse or flegendre, among others for example).

Today, I'm thinking of continuing my self-training on SEdge, at home, as well as on SolidWorks (which seems similar) with my PC (hoping it holds up). And find me a Catia or Creo training with maybe an internship to manipulate.

@PL, I agree that it is not very good to have too many similar strings on the same bow, but my wish would be to follow, to find a certain continuity, without taking the wrong path.

Flegendre, thank you for the contact, I have already had contact with them previously.

In any case, thank you again to all of you, for your encouragement.

Hello!

For having practiced the 2 (SE and SW), SW may leave you wanting more. QQ better stuff, but a lot of others rather at the bottom of the line...

So just the "basic" training, a "presentation" of SW should be enough, but while you're at it if you manage to see something else like Catia (Creo I don't know), it can broaden your horizons:)

Happy training, and a bright future for you!

(2 lic eco and a relocation behind me ;))

1 Like

Hello

I also think that CATIA training is more expensive than other software and is harder to find geographically. It is not impossible to combine several courses

Good luck for the future