Choosing Software

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner in CAD, I'm a piano builder.

I'm going to develop an instrument, but there's about 20 tons of horizontal pressure from the taut strings.

I use Solidworks for drawing (I'm a beginner, I would need a good training) and I would like to know what would be the best software (or solidworks patch) to calculate and design the metal frame that will resist this tension.

A friend told me about a software that would nibble away at the useless parts of the frame on its own so that only what was useful remained.

Thank you for your answers.

Youngest child

SolidWorks is quite capable of optimizing a design

See this video among others

https://www.3ds.com/fr/produits-et-services/solidworks/solutions-par-industrie/verification-de-conception-et-analyse/

@+

6 Likes

The complete calculation of SolidWorks is "Simulation"

Depending on your version, you may have it

5 Likes

See also this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Iw35bJgHdwk&feature=endscreen

@+

2 Likes

In pictures:

2 Likes

Hello to you,

Thank you for your answers, I had a sales representative on the phone who told me that there are several versions of the simulation tool.

A priori the latter do not follow the versions of solidworks standard does not especially have the standard simulation.

Are there cheaper competing plug-ins? Because he offers me the premium simulation which is worth the trifle of 15,000 €.

I'm not savvy enough to know which version is right for me...

Thank you

In fact there is SW Simulation Express and SW simulation.

SW Simulation Express is included in SW standard but is very basic. It just allows you to briefly validate  a sizing.

SW Simulation is part of SW Premium (and maybe Pro) but can indeed be acquired separately (I'm not sure it's interesting).

From a user point of view, Express is easy to use, Simu is very complete and requires specific training (in addition to having the basic knowledge in the field of calculation).

Hello Benjamin,

I think I guess from what you said that you have a SolidWorks Standard.

There are 3 types of SW licenses --> Standard, Professional, and Premium.

In SolidWorks premium, the Linear Static simulation module is included (along with geometry optimization).

There are also simulation-specific licenses: Standard, Professional, and Premium.

These different versions provide access to different simulation tools.

You then need to know the limits of your project's studies (Linear Statics, Buckling, Frequency...).

So to sum up, in the event that you don't want to make your system work only in linear:

1/ "Upgrade" your standard SW to SW Premium --> access to the Linear Static simulation module

or:

2/ Buy a Standard Simulation license --> access to Linear and Frequency Statics

Have a nice day

Julian

1 Like

Hello

It's true that SW simulation Pro and Premium are costing the C*****

It might be interesting to look at what is happening with the publishers of free or almost free products.

We tried simscale .com, I think it's 3000h free, you load your model, and the calculation is done at their place! So you can continue to work on your job! You can choose the amount of processors dedicated to calculations.

This was the beginning of the decline of SW, which dragged its feet by charging much too much for software and modules, and which reported bugs on the simplest operations.....

A word to the wise!

In reply to Julien,

No, I don't have Solidworks Standard, or any other.

I am therefore a little lost in all these various and varied variants.

I tested the Premium for 1 month, but not being trained... I certainly lost a lot of data.

Now I'm going to buy a software, so I went directly to SW and the salesman offers me to take a SW Standard and a Premium Simulation because I need to simulate and optimize according to buckling, crack and frequency.

A friend told me that ANSYS does this very well as a great for optimization. So I called Digicad, distributor of ANSYS and also Solid Edge who praised the merits of the latter and also its more attractive price compared to SW, but not being part of it.... I am becoming lost.

So new question: Is SolidEdge just as powerful as SW for 3D drawing, knowing that I design musical instruments so in glued wood or mechanically welded or screwed metal assembly, no fluid,

For simulations and optimizations: buckling, deformation, cracking, detachment, frequency and optimization.

Can you enlighten me between the two solutions: SolidEdge and SW then SW Simulation and ANSYS

Many thanks :-)

Youngest child