Choice between Autocad and SketchUp Pro layout

Hello

I'm new to this site and right away I have a question:

I'm signed up for an internship on Autocad but I wonder when I see what I can do with SketchUp (simple) and I come to wonder if Autocad will be as user-friendly in creation as SUpro.

I don't know Layout, the presentation and editing software that comes with SUPro. It looks pretty complete, maybe not as complete as Autocad.

What do you think?

NB: I have a Drawing training in mechanical manufacturing with Baccalaureate F1, quite gifted in vision in space.

I have no problem with computers (Mac again) because I gave up drawing for a fairly long time for computer programming and DTP.

A+

Hello

Are you going to look at Dassault Systems? Drafsight is free.

http://www.3ds.com/fr/products/draftsight/free-cad-software/

Now, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that Autocad (or Draftsight) will be more for 2D use only, unlike SketchUP Pro which is 3D (but which remains limited compared to the heavyweights in the sector.

Make your choice with full knowledge of the facts :-)

Have a nice day

Yves

Hello Yves,

What do you mean by  "(but which remains limited compared to the heavyweights in the sector.) ".

I think it's in terms of calculations, textures etc.

Do you know Layout, is it valid as a subprogram of SUPro?

"Editing" is the only thing I haven't been able to test with basic SU.

Yes, but not only. It's also limited in terms of features. It can be very suitable for a designer for example, even if it's more architecture-oriented, but it's much less suitable for those who work in the special machine.

So, I know Layout from looking at these features only. I don't know what it's worth compared to an AutoCAD or a DrafSight, but at first glance, it looks pretty good. But here again, it all depends on the sector of activity and your needs, this is first and foremost what you need to look at (in addition to knowing if it runs on Mac since you are on Mac)

The  choice between it's 2 software is mostly made according to what you have to give back and to whom.

Autocad

For 3D and 2D drawings with dimensioned and detailed presentations

For a dwg/dxf client-imposed format

Sketchup

for its handling (especially if you haven't done Autocad)

Since you have a mechanical background, I would direct you more on autocad which is used in many mechanical-oriented companies.

But is it really for mechanics, architecture, the organic...?

Drafsight is a 2D software program that is very similar to autocad LT

The big ones in 3D are 3DSmax or blender (which is free)