Choice of three-phase electric motor

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well confined and good luck to all those who work...

As part of a final project, I have to design a trolley tipper for the food industry. In order to tilt this trolley, I am required to use a three-phase electric motor of the LEROY SOMER brand; but I know absolutely nothing or very little about it...

I determined the Torque and Power (at the output shaft): Torque: 1425 Nm; Power: 336 W

I was planning to use a pulley/toothed belt system to tilt this cart, however the mass to be tilted would be 1500N (grand maximum). Is the pulley/belt system suitable for a mass of 1500 N? If not, what would be the best system in your opinion? Sprocket/chain??

And finally, concerning the efficiency, I was thinking of going for 0.5, which would give me a necessary power of 672 Watts...? I understand that with toothed belts there is only a small loss (98% efficiency), is this correct? What return should be expected?

There you go, I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm totally ignorant on these questions, I beg you to excuse my ignorance.

Thank you in advance, 

Sincerely, Fabrice.

1 Like

Hello@fabrice

As you are talking about the food industry, you should know that the CG of the trolley varies a lot between the low position (the trolley on these wheels) and the moment when the material is emptied (the CG moves around a lot). In addition,  you have a mass effect in motion with an acceleration of the spill which is to be taken into account (this generates jolts  that considerably increase the tension on the chain or the strap).

On the other hand, something bothers me (a little) in your description is that you don't talk about the speed at the exit of the shaft (is it a reduction motor). I don't really see a 1000 tr.mn engine usable as is. Could you specify the reference of the LS Engine.

You would have to see the complete kinematics because to tilt a carriage you must first raise it a few centimeters. You also have to see where your tilting axis is located in relation to the cg of the carriage and the CG with the material in it and also have an idea of the material. 150 kg of butter or sugar does not have the same resistance effects at all. This is what will allow you to calculate the maximum torque to bring to turn your trolley.

You have to determine the torque needed by the carriage and compare it to that of the motor after the reduction due to the chain or belt.

Kind regards

5 Likes

Hello Zozo,

First of all, thank you for these important points you raise, especially with regard to the GC.

As far as the speed at the exit of the shaft is concerned, I don't have any information at this stage. I don't have any information about the motor because I have to choose it (the only information I am given is "three-phase LS motor". I only know the tilting speed of the trolley which will be 0.224 m/s. (The trolley tilts from horizontal to an angle of 135°).  The speed at the tipper shaft is 2.25 rpm. Min. 

As far as the material is concerned, it's faisselle, so there's a kind of cottage cheese and liquid, so it must move a little. I attach a screenshot of the cart according to the CoC provided.

And thank you in advance

Fabrice

04.png
1 Like

In short

1°) Given the location of the rotation shaft of the trolley lift frame it appears that you cannot put a large pulley or cogwheel on this shaft to obtain a reduction of force on the chains or belts.

2°) This means that you have to choose a geared motor with an output speed of less than 10 rpm, indeed it takes you 10 to 15 seconds to make the switch.

3°) To reduce the effort on the chains you can also put two chains on the top axis so you reduce the force on the chains by 50% and you eliminate any twisting of the top and bottom shaft.

4°) the chains will have better reliability at reduced speed and moderate torque at start-up. The first 30 degrees of elevation do not require a great deal of effort. Why the chain, you should know that in these industries they are the champions of the water jet (they the fleet everywhere) and in addition pay attention to the hygiene conditions, stainless steel is king in these corners.

5°) You have a clue about the location of the current engine since you can see the second shaft below and to the right of the top one. This gives you an idea of the centre distance.

For the engine, look here https://www.leroy-somer.com/_iframe/fr/telechargements/brochures/rubrique.php?cat=4

Depending on the power and the technical choice, you have one or two chains, either straight out, or a through shaft (look at the brochure, it's easy to see the difference.

Because we don't know how far we're asking you to go. Just the calculations for a choice of engine or up to the layout drawing and the justification of the two possible scenarios.

It's up to you to tell us otherwise we're not done

7 Likes

See this link among others

https://www.leroy-somer.com/documentation_pdf/2975_fr.pdf

@+

3 Likes

Thank you Zozo for all these answers that allow me to see more clearly and also to justify my choice of solutions. I will come back to this thread later if I have any other questions.

Thanks also to gt22

Have a good day to you

Sincerely, Fabrice.

1 Like

In this case, you will have to open a new question

@+

2 Likes