How do you bend a bar?

Hello dear Lynkoa community,

I'm looking to bend a rack for a project. In order to model this bending, I want to wind this bar around a cylinder (see photo in PJ). After several attempts and online research, I couldn't find any answers that would allow me to do so.

Do you have any idea?

Is this the right way to proceed?

Conceptually

Ronan

imagesw.png

Hello

Look here, I've put all the ways I know to get there.

You have to reason the other way around, starting from the bending and then unfolding.

3 Likes

Hello

I don't know if this is the right way, but there is a bend command in solidworks.

Kind regards

Philippe

3 Likes

@ plabaune

Indeed the bending function allows you to do this quite easily, however it depends on the radius because it cannot be more than 180°.

@Ronan Mauvoisin

Be careful because a rack must be used flat, otherwise the pinion may come out.  The curvature changes the profile of the tooth even if it seems to be small and the curvature is  not very pronounced. In fact, it all depends on the load that will be applied to the gable.
No kidding, a curved rack is called a gear. The profile of a tooth is not the same as a gear and it is something sophisticated even if it seems simple when looking at a tooth.

Kind regards

1 Like

The problem is the rack 

it should not be modified, or at least as much as possible.

so create the sketch of the bending function as accurately as possible to avoid deforming this rack, at least the Sup gap of the teeth 

and it will be the opposite outer fiber that will have the Max deformation

So create this rack with a profile sketch close to the primitive circle at about half tooth

@+

For me, in reality, after the bending there is not a single tooth left. The piece will therefore be bent before cutting the teeth, why not draw in the same order?

1 Like