How to create a thermoformed interior trim on a body

Hi all

I am looking for a solution to model body trims .

I have the 3D (surface step) of the bodywork elements and I want to model thermoformed panels.

The thermoformed must take up the bodywork in its main lines but must have rather simple shapes (planes / radii)

Here is attached an image of the body in question.

I thought:

- draw the surface design

- make a volume "impression" of the desired shape and then turn it into a stamping tool;

- use the "core/cavity volume" function of the mold function;

... brief... I haven't managed anything for the moment ... :-(

Thank you in advance for your help.

Laurent

vue_car1.png

Hello

Do you have a view of what you want to do?

Hello

I don't see any attachments for my part...

I updated my post with the photo attached...

and here is a second of what I wish to obtain.

vue_car2.png

Hello

Given the complexity of the piece, I don't see any solution other than the surface to achieve your goals.

On the other hand, doing surface is not a piece of cake and requires a rather long learning curve because it is not quite the same logic of construction. moreover you have to be quite strong in geometry. (there are some strong maouss in surface on this forum they will advise you)

The advantage with SW and the SW surface is that you can have an industrializable model with controlled dimensions unlike pure modelers. The other simpler solution is to scan the sheet metal part with a limit that the trim does not take all the hollows and dents (reinforcements, etc...) so after the scanner you have to take the part in AMHA surface anyway.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

to be able to open your STEP as a usable part, you just have to do, file==>open and select STEP where you have  all the files then options and see my attachment for the settings. Then afterwards you can use your STEP to create a mold with the "core/cavity volume" function or other 

option_dimport_step.jpg
1 Like

It didn't work...

2018-08-24_12_04_07-.png

@ lpascal Your piece has no volume as if it were a sketch image. Can you post your STEP piece

@ ac cobra once the shape is recovered as you indicate:  it will have to be simplified anyway (as I indicated) so for this phase what do you propose as a tool or method  :-) :-) :-)

1 Like

You have to stick to simple surface functions: from your imported model, surface/offset (with a dimension of 0) on the interesting surfaces, fill in the gaps (fill function), connect the pieces by fillets/sweeping. This will give you skin that needs to be thickened (take into account the thickness in the previous leaves).

2 Likes

Here is the STEP file of my test body.

c000346204.step

An example (SW2015) of what you can get out, I must have spent 20 minutes on it. I didn't go deeper than that to solve what is preventing the thickening.

To fill in the gaps, we have to juggle between the functions of fulfilling and bordering. I deliberately left a "fixing" hole.

I limited myself to one of the parts, if there is a need to rely on other parts, it is better to save the assembly as a part and then work on this part (removing the unnecessary parts).

panneau_interieur_seulg000548175_v09_01.sldprt
1 Like

Thank you very much for your feedback,

I think I'm going to go for the surface shift... I'm going to wait for the Advanced Surfaces training that I have scheduled for myself in a few days to be able to move forward as well as possible.