How do you make a detail view in a section view?

Hi all

I draw a mechanical assembly. According to the standards, in a cross-sectional view I should not cut a tree, but I would like to show a detail in section (a keyway for example). However, SolidWorks doesn't let me do a detail view in a section view. Do you know how I could do it?

Thank you!

Good evening

It seems possible to me by either doing a local cross-sectional view, then excluding the tree and making a detail view of this part. (Maybe the other way around)

Hi @ Yoan

Look at these tutorials

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/solidworks-profondeur-de-coupe-et-coupe-locale

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/transformer-une-vue-en-coupe-en-vue-iso

In theory if I understood correctly you have your answer

@+ ;-)

Good evening!

Here's how I do it personally:

1 - Right-click on the section view

2 - Property

3 - "Extent of the cut" tab

4 - All that remains is to select in the tree the elements to cut/not to cut in the view.

There you go, there you go... Actually it's simple.... :-)

Yann

coupe.zip
3 Likes

Hello

I think there is that possibility as well.

doc1.pdf
1 Like

BOnjnour,

To exclude a component from a cut on SolidWorks, once the cut is made, you have to right-click on the cut, select Properties. Go to Scope of the cut and choose the elements you want to exclude from the cut

Hoping this answers your question

Kind regards

sldw.jpg
2 Likes

For me, you can't do anything with the built-in tools. We're going to have to dig around.

In your place, I would make a new projected view.

On this view, I make a local section that encompasses your entire view.

You set the options to have the trees full.

On this same view, you make a local cut (another one) that only cuts the end of the tree where you want to see your keyway housing.

You make a detail view of the end of your tree to see the keyway housing in larger size (if you want)

1 Like

Hello

It is not possible to make a local section on a cross-sectional view. There are two solutions:

- you make a cross-sectional view and you cut the entire tree to see the keyway, it doesn't respect the standard

- you make a local cut that cuts your whole set excluding the tree and you make a second local cut on the keyway, it respects the standard but you don't have the cut mark on the parent view

You just have to choose the solution that seems the least bad to you

Have a nice day

1 Like

Hello

I have just realized that I have only repeated what Lespetitspieds had said: I must consult an ophthalmologist I think. 

Kind regards

2 Likes

@samuel.chavanne

Good evening

That's exactly what I was telling myself... mdr

See you!