How do you measure an overall volume of an assembly?

Hello

I would like to know the overall volume of an assembly ("internal void filling"), in order to know its density later.

And it is possible to display on the assembly drawing: volume, total weight, density?

Thank you in advance

Knowing the global volume of all the components is possible without any problem (tools, mass properties), you can also create properties that will retrieve the values you want without any problem (and therefore display them in drawing).

However, I didn't understand what volume you want to get? that only of the empty parts, that of the components of the whole or that of a full "envelope" which would somehow fill all the hollows present in the whole?

1 Like

Solid parts and internal empty parts: solid envelope

ok so it's not possible directly, solidworks is not able to evaluate an empty volume, it is mandatory that this empty volume be filled with a component (we can create a fictitious comoposant with footprint functions for example and with a specific density of 0 otherwise your overall density and your total weight will necessarily be wrong)

After if the density of each part is of no importance to you, it is possible to export the assembly in part mode, by selecting the "external surfaces" option, solidworks will generate a surface model that will then be used in design to transform it back into a solid volume, Of course, this manipulation will take more or less time depending on the complexity of the model.

1 Like

What software do you work with?

Solidworks can only measure full volumes.

It will therefore be necessary; either redo each surface piece of the assembly by filling them to create a volume part, or modify the assembly to fill it as well. It depends on the complexity of the model.

The parts will no longer represent reality, but the software will then be able to calculate the volume.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Solidworks

I hadn't seen the message from fthomas when I replied to you.

Try to do as he mentioned and it will work even if it takes a little work.

But since it's a full envelope, I guess it's going to be pretty easy.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Tomorrow I'm trying the technique of the fictitious comosant by impression.

Thank you for your help

I had the problem on a design for a question of buoyancy create a spreadsheet you take the weight and volume of all your solid parts and their weight, and for hollow parts you take their weight and you try to calculate with your spreadsheet and a little logic of the simplified volume of your hollow parts (small volumes like screws will be negligible if your mechanism does not fit 20 cm ) then you add all the mass and all the volumes and you divide mass by volume. It's obvious but if you do your calculations precisely you can have a very good value

Since it was a piece of revolution, I created a piece of zero density in order to have the volume and knowing the mass, I can calculate the density.