How to optimize a laser cutting sheet

Hi all.

I have today, a very simple part with two plies but which is not very economical in terms of its shape and I would like to be able to optimize my sheet metal from solidworks but I don't know how to do it.

Thank you in advance.

tole.png

What do you want to optimize? What freedoms do you have?

Can you cut it into 3 pieces and put it back together?

Can you work on the folded shape: place the cutouts elsewhere?

Edit: on your image, we don't see where the folds are.

4 Likes

Hello

We can't really tell you how to optimize it if we don't know what function it has or what the functional areas are.

If you have only one part to make, it's true that it takes material, but if you have several you can interlock them so as not to lose too much material

3 Likes

Hello

In general, laser manufacturers don't have only one part to cut on their sheet metal (or it's very rare), they always manage to wedge the maximum number of parts in the minimum sheet metal. If you only have one piece to cut, the laser manufacturer  will have two other pieces to fill in the "non-economic" spaces!

4 Likes

Thank you for your answers,

Benoit, so the question is precisely whether it would not be better to make it in three welded parts.

It seemed to me that there was a Solidworks module which, by choosing a sheet metal format and a part to be cut, calculated the position of the parts itself to avoid as much material loss as possible. 

I  may have been wrong.

tole.png

Of course, by cutting into 3, you will avoid a maximum of losses

2 Likes

Hello

No utility for optimizing cuts to my knowledge.

And it's confirmed here:

http://www.usinages.com/solidworks/creer-dxf-rassemblant-plusieurs-pieces-differentes-t32037.html

"Nesting cannot be done in Solidworks
Specific software has these functions: cut2d, aspire, artcam"

There is a paid add-on, SolidNEST, you can get a demo CD here:

http://www.solidnest.com/RequestInfo/tabid/94/Default.aspx

3 Likes

To my knowledge it doesn't exist under solidworks

which of + is financially it will cost you + to manufacture + of work and intervention tool and labor

@+ ..............................

2 Likes

Hello

Having worked for 3 years on a laser worker, the shape of the piece does not seem so inimbricable! But without dimension, I can't get too far ahead.

And yes, laser technicians often cut several references in the same sheet metal and there are software programs that make a hell of a mess especially when the parts are twisted!

But personally, I'll keep it in one piece (2 press strokes and the part is finished, while in 3, you have to put it in position, you have to weld...)

1 Like

Hi all.

Five solutions to the problem.

1) Wait for other cuts requiring a sheet of the same material and thickness (good material management but not time).

2) Cut the part, keep the scrap by identifying it and keeping its dimensional characteristics (good time management a priori, management of an essential 'scrap'  stock).

3) Relieve yourself of the purchase of materials.

4) Ask the applicant for a derogation (weld rather than bend).

5) Cut the piece and return the scrap to the customer.

Have a nice day.

3 Likes

It doesn't seem that there is this kind of module (but not a sheet metal professional!).

SW allows you to visualize the smallest "rectangle" containing your flow rate (in your case, it's easy to see!) by the sketch called "visualization cube" in the unfolded state function.

For the realization in one bent piece or 3 welded pieces, it is to be discussed with your subcontractor. There is a chance that he prefers folding, for the optimization of the flow he will proceed as indicated @david

2 Likes

Thank you again for your answers.

The only problem is that we outsource the lazer cutouts and we would like to be able to manage the scraps.

And I would have liked to compare the gains between the following solutions.

In one part with more loss and no welding.

In 3 parts (can be smaller sheet metal format) with welding

But I think I'm going to keep the solution in one part, I think I'm going to save editing time.

Thank you very much.

To be sure, make 2 plans (folded version, 3 soldered flow version) and have them costed! Do it with 2/3 suppliers to get a more global idea.

3 Likes