How do you go from any solid on SOLIDWORKS to its x, y, z coordinates of all its constituent points in a text file?

Hello

I'm doing a project on SOLIDWORKS, but I'm facing a problem: I'd like to export a solid, any object, made on SOLIDWORKS in all its x, y, z coordinates of each point in the space that makes it up. When I talk about all the coordinates of each point in space, I'm talking about the coordinates of the points where there is any matter of the solid in question. So if the solid is solid, the text file will also contain the coordinates of the points inside the solid and not just the coordinates of the points of the outer faces. Of course, beforehand, we will have chosen the distance between each coordinate of each point on the three x, y, z axes. For example , if the distance between each coordinate of each point of the solid in x is 1 mm, then the x-coordinates of all points in the solid will be 0, 1, 2, 3... This means that you don't have an infinite number of points.

I couldn't find anything on the internet that answers my problem. On the other hand, I found the "point" function on SOLIDWORKS which allows you to create a large number of points, without creating them one piece, on segments or edges. The problem is that this method remains tedious, for a solid of complex geometry, knowing who would lightning cut it entirely in line and then for each line create a very large number of points. I also found the macro function, I don't know if it can help me with my problem.

That's why I would like to know if a function exists on SOLIDWORKS to solve my problem, if so how does it function ? If not, maybe another software performs this task, if so what and how does it work?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello

Your wish seems a bit complex to me and that's why I take the liberty of asking you what it will be used for later? 

I would look for raw 3D printing formats.

Hello

Save your file in VRML (*.wrl) and then open this file with a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++. The number of points depends on the accuracy of the display of the original file share, to be changed in the SW options if necessary.

Kind regards

1 Like

Good evening

Thank you for your answers, my project is close to 3d printing. But where do we go in solidworks to change the number of points in the file and how do we do it? 

Thank you

You have to go to the properties of the document/Image quality and then increase the shaded image resolution slider.

capture.png

Thank you