How to stiffen a 3 mm thick stainless steel sheet?

Hello 

For the closing needs of a guillotine door, I intend to use a fairly large stainless steel sheet (500x1100, 3 mm thick) which is translated vertically, using a jack fixed on a fold. I'm a little afraid that the sheet metal is not rigid enough (movement in the direction of the smallest dimension) and moves at a speed of about 250 mm/s. How will you stiffen the sheet metal? A u-shaped rib (stamped?) in the middle? Gussets on either side of the jack attachment point between the bend and the sheet metal? The 2? Any other suggestions? 

Thank you for your enlightenment

tole_souple.sldprt
1 Like

I also just understood the use of the sheet metal gusset function, which gives this kind of result: 

https://forums.futura-sciences.com/physique/608604-embouti-une-tole-pliee.html

I lack perspective on the subject and therefore don't know which method to turn to!

Hello

To help you, we need more info;  
The sheet metal alone is the door?
Are there any contraindications to having folds in them?
Risk of collisions with something else... etc.
A screenshot would be welcome, we don't all have SW at home

A+

Hello 

Is a diamond tip acceptable? 

Hello @charleslr,

Hypothesis: it is likely that the door is guided in the upper and lower parts of the two side folds, which is suggested by the holes drilled in these places. The folds and guides should provide rigidity in these vertical areas.
A rudimentary static simulation gives an idea of which parts can be deformed, even if the loading is far from the actual situation. For example:
- uniform pressure on the door (or centered load);
- pushing the cylinder on the upper lug, imagining a resistance at the level of the guides
- lateral folds assumed to be rigidly guided.
Hence the image below of the trips...

As expected, the deformations are mainly localized on the lower and upper edges.
If we limit ourselves to bending, simple horizontal folds at the level of these edges should improve the rigidity (reduction of the maximum displacement by a factor of 4, do not rely on the color code)...

Do you have realistic data on the efforts involved?

M.Blt

Hello

You can add diamond point.

1 Like

Hello Charles

If it's like the image below, it's not possible with solidworks as standard.
The crease function will scream to the wheelwright.
It's a stamping function (very very limited in Sw) which solidworks doesn't know how to do this way. In any case, not on a ply as for the sheet metal square reinforcements.

Hi all 

Attached is a photo of the model

@Rpicard: Yes, it is possible and my supplier seems to be able to do it.  To see the effectiveness of the solution (simulation).

@Hubert: There are 2 doors (I attach a photo). No contraindication to adding folds, on the contrary, it is surely (a) good solution and my supplier is able to do it.

@ac cobra 427 : I just did that. It doesn't appear in the CAD, but in the functions used, is that normal?

@Zozo_mp: indeed SW doesn't seem to appreciate stamping. I saw that there were some similar functions but quite difficult to use. In particular, you have to create your own stamping tool...

@m.blt : The door is guided laterally via 4 glides. Regarding the loading, there is only the weight of the panel itself, which according to my calculations with speed and acceleration can represent an effort of about 400N (safety factor of 2). applied in the thrust axis of the cylinder, i.e. in the middle of the 2 fixing holes provided on the paste. Can the notion of fatigue also be calculated via the SolidWorks Simulation tool? I'd like to see if it behaves well with the number of cycles. I would like to know how to carry out this simulation (even in static, for lack of anything better...), can you tell me how you proceeded? 

Thank you for your feedback

simulation_verin.jpg

Hello @charleslr,

I have tried to provide an answer to some of your questions, in the light of the information you have provided. Namely, a static simulation of your guillotine door, in two different situations based on personal assumptions, due to a lack of detailed data.
Fatigue or buckling studies are possible with SolidWorks Simulation, but seem to me to be of little relevance to your door system, which is not very much used.

The report is in the attached document.
Happy reading...

portecoulissante.docx
3 Likes