How to Turn a Mesh File into a Solidworks Surface

Hey experts,

Have you ever turned a large mesh file (*.stl, *.3ds ect...) into a SolidWorks surface?

The goal is to use it with SolidWorks, so to go from the mesh to a 3D SolidWorks model. 

In other words, do you have any tools for bridging files like 3dsmax to SolidWorks? 

Thank you for your feedback. 

Hello

Under solidworks I don't know but under catiav5 I put a tutorial available

Hello

You need to enable the Scan To 3D add-in (Tools/Add-ins). A SolidWorks Premium license is required.

A question that deals with this subject:http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/stl-import-solidworks?page=1

1 Like

Ha yes I'm interested. Where can I find this tutorial? On Lynkoa? Can you send me the link? 

Let me clarify my question: 

Do you know of gateways other than Scanto3D and Datakit to best retrieve mesh files (from software such as 3dsmax)? 

Thank you anyway Benoit! 

I like the logo.....

Having tested the stl import it is not a wonder either to exploit a surface model and transformed into volume. 

However, this allows you to have reference points if you want to recreate a sketch for an extrusion

I have a premium so if necessary I can try to work on your file if you want to make it available (I'm under sw 2014)

Thank you SEPM,

I also have a premium with scanto3d and datakit but the results are not enough. I'm looking for other solutions to try to go further 

SO THE .....  

I installed FreeCAD and Bender on my computer and then thanks to manipulations and conversion step IGS and other I managed to make recoveries let's say on simple files (extrusion type) 

But to my great despair no miracle solution

Ok Thank you for the test, I think anyway that there is no miracle solution given that we are on two completely different 3D topologies. 

But who knows...  

Hello

For stl, you have to activatecheck "import as volume cops" in the .stl file import preferences.

Sometimes it gives good results on the 1st try.

For other formats, Benoit.LF is right that Scan to 3D.

rom's

1 Like