How You Organize Files and Folders - SolidWorks

Following the video on references on files ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-CvDbRthvg ), I would be curious to see how you organize your work in CAD.

There are of course those who do not have the choice of file names, due to a company organization that codifies all the names of parts and assemblies.

If not, do you have any particular habits for naming your files 'Parts, Assembly, MEP) and records?

For my part, I enclose the organization that I impose on my trainees. Do not hesitate to take a critical look at it so that I can improve certain points.

Thank you

Alan

PS: as I can't attach a PDF, I'm going to place my organization template in a tutorial named "Organization of CAD files"

1 Like

Hi, can't you put a link to your tutorial?

Indeed, our ERP imposes a codification on us and for the tree structure, it is either the machine for the standard  or the year and the customer's order reference for the special.

And the library is apart.

1 Like

Good idea@PL

Link to the tutorial:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/import-export-formats-neutres/organisation-des-fichiers-cao

Hi Alain 

We work with a customer number with four digits like 3396 with a code 09 in front for an assembly and 29 for a part and then we start with the number of deals. So it gives 093396001 for the 1st case and we continue and so on. On the server we create a folder with the name of the customer and its four-digit code and in this folder we store the stuff with their name such as 093396001 -  300lts tank for the assembly name then Rep 1 -  093396001 300lts tank and so on.

1 Like

When creating the client file we create the source file: 3396 Manu (name of the client) and in this folder we put the others as written in the previous post. We also put in the head a file 01 - common rooms and there are articles with that starts with 49. The advantage of this system of folder and parts names is that we find everything, customer, articles and parts, and moreover in the MEPs we have the path to the file. The advantage is that we can open several similar assemblies to compare them and there will never be any bugs between the parts because they don't have the same name except for the common parts which are totally identical...

1 Like

At the first reading, I already change the prefix according to the type of file (ASM, PRT, MEP) (windows allows you to sort easily), and advantage in my opinion, when you sort on the name, you have the MEP (see the dxf and the pdf) with its  model (it makes it easier to check to be sure that you have the plan of each element).

In case of a subset not identified by its own number (functional SE), they are named as their master set but with the prefix SE between the n° and the designation (which is the same as the master set).

At the STD prefix, we prefer to have a screws folder and a trade folder (at the windows level and in the model tree).

The elements of commerce are named as follows: manufacturer/distributeur_désignation _ref.
As far as possible, these elements will be parts (we convert the asm into prt) (only the actuators will be asm, and even since we can move a body).

Generally speaking, I avoid linking words (to, for, from, etc.): don't forget the windows limit of 255 characters for a file with its path (from the drive letter and including the "\". You get there quickly, much faster than you think, by the way, the direct export in zip of the compositions to take with you quickly makes you feel it: the zip is not created! The "cle_de_chauffagiste" becomes "cle_chauffagiste". This is even more important on directory names, and especially since they are upstream in the tree structure (like the business name made up of a number, more or less long, a designation etc).

2 Likes

I see that my question is already "outdated" and will no longer have a speaker.

It's a shame because I feel that the experience of each one could have been interesting.

Thank you @PL and @Manu for your advice.

@stefbeno: personally, even if you can distinguish the file types in Windows Explorer, I find that reading a folder is easier when I put my prefix; it becomes almost a nomenclature. And since I have a numbering after the prefix, we can control quite well what has been done in MEP.

Example: the part PRT_07_Flasque will have its definition drawing below designated by: MEP_07_Flasque.

My idea is that the classification is done in alphabetical order in the Explorer, we are the Sets and S/E then all the parts ordered (by a number) with a distinction if the part is standard, then the drawings at the end with those of the assemblies at the beginning of the list.