Inventor-SolidWorks compatibility

Hello

I have an Inventor database and would like to use only SolidWorks right now. Can the parts be compatible? Can I open Inventor parts with all functions in SoiidWorks?

Thanks in advance

Uh... No!

That's the problem with CAD software, they don't know how to talk to each other. There is a kind of Esperento (the STEP), but you lose all your functions.

To see with your reseller if he has a paid solution to offer you ... but I'm afraid you'll have to redo everything by hand

2 Likes

Hello

If you have Inventor and SOlidWorks on the same computer, solidworks can try to replay and recreate the build tree, see help importing Inventor into SolidWorks.

Otherwise open your Inventor files in SolidWorks by installing InventorView on the workstation and then use FeatureWorks which is in SolidWorks Pro to redo a history of SolidWorks.

WARNING: this only works for mechanical parts (milled, turned, sheeted)!

@+

2 Likes

I am of the same opinion as coin37coin, anyway, if you have plans, they will no longer have the links with the coins...

Good luck with the software change if you do it.

Kind regards

1 Like

Wow it's a fool's approach@Coyote Oo

And in the end, does it really make you feel clean, or are there always typos lying around here and there?

1 Like

@coincoin why is it so far?

In the Open menu of SolidWorks there are the inventor files but to open them either you have to have Inventor on the workstation or Inventor View, I'm not inventing anything, it's just like that.

On the other hand, as I wrote, it works well on mechanical parts without too many complex shapes.

After that, the question to ask yourself is: Do I need to regain all the functions of my parts or do I simply need to convert them to use them in my new assemblies?

@+

2 Likes

It wasn't a criticism @Coyote. It's just that it's a lot of work to do something. It's a solution to know but it seems difficult to find if you don't know it beforehand;)

Why is it a lot of manipulation just open Inventor file, plus launch FeatureWorks if needed?

@+

Hello

Thank you for your answers. As I suspected, it's not going to be a piece of cake... I will try to do the best I can according to your answers.

Thank you in any case.