Composition to take away and open

Hello

Do you know if it is possible to do like a "save as and open" but with a composition to go?

1 Like

I don't think that's possible.

Somehow it would be contradictory with the idea of the take-home composition (having 2 independent models).

4 Likes

I use the take-home composition a lot, because it allows you to export the drawing at the same time.

If I use save-as, I only have the part...

Bart, that's why I created the save macro as !!

I'm looking for the link in my lynkoa tutorials;)

Edit: here's the link:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/macro-enregistrer-sous-avec-solidworks

Edit 2: by the way I just saw that you had commented on this tutorial, so you had used it!

3 Likes

I completely understand your distress @Bart. It often happened to me to make a take-away composition and then start working on the assembly .. whereas it was the original model. It's infuriating as can be!

Unfortunately, as Stefbeno says, I don't think it's possible to open the new set. Or even to simply close the basic model:(

3 Likes

Otherwise you tried to use the Save As function by checking Include all reference components?

capture.jpg
5 Likes

Agree with @stefbeno.

If you want to copy a part with its drawing, you can use the old-fashioned method that has worked since the beginning of SW:

• Considering that you have saved your files (slddrw, sldprt and sldasm) neatly, you open the drawing and your room.
  • You save-under your slddrw without closing this new file.
  • You save-under your sldprt (only with the basic "save as" option). Your drawing is still open, it "sees" the name change and changes reference.
  • You save your slddrw (to keep the reference change) and roll my chicken.

It's long to write but quick to do. Be careful, if your part is used in an open assembly, the reference will also change.

3 Likes

Thank you all,

I don't want to change the basic refs, but just make a carbon copy with the MEP.

I'm going to reread Lucas' tutorial, I must have missed it. My memory is playing tricks on me!

2 Likes

@Benoit.LF: that's exactly what the macro does (and even more so by changing the custom properties so that the files and the cartridge keep their consistency): it's used almost 50 times a day here, because it's really fast in one click we do everything you said:)

2 Likes

I don't doubt it Lucas, I started to write my answer there were only 2 posts, by the time to write it properly you had all passed in the meantime! :)

2 Likes

I don't have time to test the macro.

I'm taking care of it this afternoon without fail;)

Thank you all

@Bart, do you use EPDM or pdm Workgroup?

Because it seems to me that you have a built-in function!

1 Like

@Bart:

"I use the take-home composition a lot, because it allows me to export the drawing at the same time. If I use save-as, I only have the part... "

It seems to me (seen at MycadDays 2016 !!!)   This feature exists directly in SolidWorks 2016.

To see:

http://help.solidworks.com/2016/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/AFX_HIDD_FILESAVE.htm

1 Like

I don't use epdm or pdm workgroup.....

And since I like to struggle, I use Sw 2014! =)

I'm looking forward to 2016 soon...

Otherwise the freeman_83 solution works fine in sw2014 open the drawing do saved as copy and open, check include all reference components and advanced option to rename or add sufix or prefix.

2 Likes

Nickel, with a few small modifications, the macro is adapted to my needs.

Thank you;)