Solidworks Minimum Config

Good evening

I just came across your forum which seems very nice to me so I register.

First name Roberto, I am a small user of Solidworks for parts at my work and DIY at home... So I have an average level we would say...

I'm currently running with a 2013 premium version on a core 2 duo and a 500 MB graphics card and that's enough for me,

But I'm tired of the noise and I want to make a small PASSIVE config based on a Mini itx motherboard (cause the space), the goal of the game is to make a mini config for Solid 2013, and especially mini to have the lowest possible electrical consumption...

There you have it... and to spice things up, if I could do without a graphics card and only use the CPU / CM graphics part, it would be great...

I hope your enlightenment

Thank you

1 Like

To minimize the consumption take a laptop there's nothing better ;-)

the frequency of the proc must be at least 3Ghz

See here

http://ark.intel.com/fr/products/family/75023/4th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@Desktop

for the graphics card it's better to be Soliworks certified

See this page http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

counsel

rather than trying to build a pc find a pro pc of second hand graphics it's + wise

There are some cheap ones here

http://www.materiel-informatique-occasion.com/

http://www.microkdo.com/promotions

It's good stuff but from the reform of a big company so it works at the top

Many people here have made this choice and are not disappointed

I only get DAL on the sale of PCs ;-)

If you have any other questions I'm all ears

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

The problem is that the graphics card is a major element in a CAD configuration.

It is possible to use the graphics part of the chipset, but you will quickly be limited in the display possibilities and speed.

For people (modeling simple parts, assembling a few parts), it's possible; For the pro, I wouldn't play too much.

1 Like

Good evening

Thank you for your two answers which give me some leads

Second-hand equipment could be a good idea, especially since the prices are attractive, but to find the right thing, I'll have to look... especially since I also want an SPDIF output  on the CM (for an audio application).

So there is a chance that I will start with something new to build a pc close to my wishes.

At first I wanted to stay on the i3... But the difference in consumption with a certain i5 is not monstrous.

It is to model simple parts with assemblies of 20 parts max... so the graphics chipset of the CPU should be enough?

In any case I leave room in the case to be able to fit a CG eventually... (like ASUS GT730-SL-2GD3-BRK).

So for now I'll start with:

an i5 6500 mounted on an Asus miniTX CM with 8 GB of RAM 

(the SSD, HDD and case...) will be from the reuse of my old machine....

So I should get by for about 370 € (without CG...)

I will update you on the progress of the project.

Thank you

It's up to you to see your priorities

If you prefer to build your PC why not 

but sometimes it is difficult to make SW work with the parts that should normally work correctly and compatible

even some big name workstations sometimes have problems running SW

Some members had the unpleasant surprise to see that it didn't work very well back manufacturer who is looking for the why and how it doesn't work ;-)

for SW 2013 it's windaube 7 or 8.0 above not sure it works

The certified drivers for the HD 530 are for SW 2015/2016??????????? and not for SW 2013

It doesn't mean that it won't work, but beware

SW is a real problem for pcs

@ you to see and think well

in my personal opinion for the social security

I'll go for a laptop workstation with an external screen

for the W 10 I'm not sure of the result

I'm telling you this but I'm not telling you anything to think about it

have a nice day @+

To complete what GT22 says,

I even saw two identical stations (same configuration, bought at the same time, installation by duplication of HD) have completely different reactions on the same file...

On one the function passes, on the other it crashes :$

2 Likes

You have to think in terms of evolution: today SW2013 with 500MB of CG is enough for you.
You want to invest. Do you think you will stay with SW2013, will your assemblies stay at 20 pieces?

The CG must support OpenGL.
Be careful with mini formats, if you want to one day evolve to put a "real" graphics card, not sure that it will pass.
Same for the power supply, the CAD CGs require a strong power supply (there is a dedicated connector on the board).
The ASUS board is not at all made for CAD, it won't bring you much in this area.
There are passive CGs (very expensive).
it starts at 200€ per track (excluding passives) certified SW: http://www.ldlc.com/informatique/pieces-informatique/carte-professionnelle/c4685/p1e48t3o0a1+fdi-1+fv109-4603.html

I'm not sure that the size plays on the consumption, it's the components (SSD instead of HD, type of proc, etc)

To avoid getting stuck at the CM level (you need PCIe 2.0 mini for the CG), why not take a card for your SPDIF output.

1 Like

@ Pascal

thank you for the feedback

SW is a very heavy and capricious log

@+

1 Like

[off-topic]

@GT22

We have 15 stations of 3 different generations with SW and ePDM installed on each one...

Imagine the number of possible bugs... :D

[/off-topic]

1 Like