Conflict between Solidworks 2019 and 2020

Hello

Working on Solidworks 2019 SP5.0 and wanting to upgrade to the new generation Solidworks 2020 SP4.0, I find myself facing a technical problem. Both software are installed on the same workstation but since the installation of the 2020 version, I no longer have access to the pack & go tools on 2019 and the large assembly record crashes Solidworks 2019.

I also installed Solidworks 2020 on a new workstation containing Solidworks 2019 and the observation is identical.

Has anyone encountered the same problem and especially found a solution to remedy it?

Kind regards.

Hello

SW recommends not to put two versions on the same machine.  (this will cause confusion in the files or in some parameter files)

For the two installations to be waterproof, it must be on two different HDDs (this can be on a virtual HDD located on the main HDD.

Also be careful with the paths between your files which will be immutably in 2019 if you wish.

Note that there is little point in continuing to make changes to your old files with the 2019 version. Indeed, you have backward compatibility.

Version 2020 opens all older versions, so until you back up your old files in V2020, they remain as 2019 files.

We can continue to discuss it if you wish ;-) :-)

Kind regards

@Zozo_mp , foronce, I don't agree with you. I've been installing versions galore on machines for years (currently I have 4-5 simultaneous versions on each machine) without any problems of this kind.

When installing, I only change one path, that of solidworks data, everything else is original. Afterwards, I actually configure my access to the basemap, templates and other specific files or libraries.

2 Likes

@srattier,

Yes this is a known anomaly of SW 2020, if SW2019 and SW2020 installed at the same time on the same workstation the pack and go does not work.

may the force be with you.

2 Likes

Hello

The present problem seems to come more from the Pack & Go tools than from the different versions of SW and here I'm not sure it's a good idea to put 2 different versions, these tools integrate into the context menu of Windows Explorer.

Is the problem existing if you make your take-home composition from the SW interface, see HERE.

Kind regards

1 Like

Thank you all for your feedback. As I remember, I didn't configure the Solidworks Data according to the versions of Solidworks.

Today I need to have different versions of Solidworks depending on our customers. I will start by reinstalling the versions deemed interesting and relevant by changing the Solidworks Data and I will advise according to the results to keep only the latest version.

Kind regards.

Hello @stefbeno

Thank you for your feedback! Very interesting.

I made the mistake of doing that with the 2016 2017 and I had a lot of problems
Note that I had let the installation do it automatically and obviously the hot line of my VAR dissuaded me from multiple installations.

Regards ;-)

FYI I got this information from the Visiativ hotline.

May the force be with you

I remember that I had the problem with SW15, the pack'n go didn't work anymore since this version, I had to launch it from the higher version.
Once the problem was known, it was no longer a problem, the pack'n go did not change the version of the files (a SW15 file remained SW15 even the pack'n go was made with SW16).

The thing that can be a problem is the link with MS Office. The SW versions are intended to work with certain versions of Office.
it sometimes leads to funny situations: I bought a machine with Office at my VAR: machine delivered with the latest version of Office (of course) but version not yet recognized by Dassault recommendations! So I had to recycle an old Office license...

@OBI WAN: does the pack'n go still work with SW20 if it has SW19 installed?

@srattier: you will have to do a big cleanup (registry keys, directory) between uninstalling and reinstalling.
Then, I recommend installing the versions in ascending order, being careful to separate the solidworks data directories.
And it's only when everything is installed that I customize the paths.
In addition, I have an excel file in which I associate my clients and the SW version. Once a year I take stock: when a version becomes a little old and there are no more customers on it, hop trash.