Tip for low-cost laptop compatible SW realview

Hello to the forum.

I want to take a laptop to work on site with SW from time to time.

The card will need to support Realview mode.

Some calculations in EF (4 - 6 or 8 GB memory + ideally SSD + process > 2.2 ghz)

I don't have the budget/portable pro station.

Does anyone have a good feedback on a non-pro laptop? (RealView compatible)

Thank you 

If you want RealView you will need a Pro video card

What budget do you have

Something new, second-hand?

@+ ;-))

1 Like

Yes I know / graphics card.

That's the big pb.

Budget 1000 € max

Second-hand, it's always very risky on a laptop

Here is a link for guaranteed second-hand among others

http://www.materiel-informatique-occasion.com/portables-graphiques-occasion_57_0_0_0_p1-cX.html

@+ ;-))

For SW it's a "portable workstation" that you need.

Low cost doesn't really rhyme with a portable workstation!!

Here is the type of equipment you need:

http://www.mycadstore.com/store/mycadstore/hardware/stations-mobiles-hp/station-mobile-premium.html

2 Likes

Thank you gt22.

I know the site.

In the past, on two occasions, I have had realview access with non-pro OPEN GL cards.

It seems to be no longer possible with the latest SW versions.

1 Like

Yet another experience to flegendre/interest of a workstation.

I've been on SW since 97, I've had x experiences with "basic" assembled PCs, with open gl lambda cards.......................... Very often very little difference with expensive workstations.
I even had a toshiba laptop made of celeron that performed calculations that the beautiful DELL station could not do.
On my last PC built with I7-4790K ......it's a 1G MSI card at 22 €............works as well as the pros on consistent assemblies.  It doesn't go into realview, but it's 2% of my needs.

Kind regards

HJ

1 Like

Well, maybe I'll break the myth...^^

But I have sometimes rendered on a Dual Core 4GB of RAM classic sata disk, Windows 7 with Nvidia graphics card 220M of memory.

It was an Asus at 850 euros there. It's true that it's not the best, far from it, but I was putting out stuff :p

Considering how computer hardware is evolving, I think that at the moment, you can find yourself a pretty simple quad core. But personally, I would advise you to wait a little, just to have 300-400 euros more to make sure you last a little longer.

Then maintain it to death, because it will heat up a lot and get a lot dirty.

(complete internal cleaning, change of thermal paste etc....)

1 Like

"Computer equipment is evolving"................ but we still row as much on SW!

Good night.

One last remark.

On the market, there are high-performance laptops with high-performance graphics cards................ But unfortunately they are not RealView compatible.

The cards decreed (good term?)  that can be counted by SW are confidential, with costs that are also confidential (NVIDIA PRO and ATI PRO range). The compatibility "throttling" is in the software. As proof you had the % Realhack which allowed you to activate the realview on some cards.

That's business!

A+

@jh look at the drivers on the solidworks site and like that you have the list of graphics cards

When you see certified drivers for an Intel 4000 it means that there is no throttling 

1 Like

Hello to the forum

The intel P4000 or  P4600 gpu (only ok / sw2015?) you find it on the processor.

If you take a dedicated graphics card, the choice comes down to certain cards  / ATI and NVIDIA.

Indeed, on a laptop with a process with P4600 gpu it must be able to work in realview.

To be validated by the hard pros.

A +