Convert files that belong to an education license

Hi all

Our company wants to integrate a trainee in drawing training and has a SW education license. Only when it is going to save files, a small hat will be added indicating an educational license. Hence my question: Is it possible to remove this hat and convert the file under a standard license?

Thank you!

David

Hello

This is possible by sending the files to Dassault Systèmes to do so, but otherwise impossible.

3 Likes

A solution that can help, convert to step and with a pro or premium version do function recognition.

I'm not sure but the hat appears when the part is created by the Education license, it doesn't appear on the part modifications.

Thank you AC Cobra 427 and G.Casters. I'll try to convert to step and then to sldprt. Thank you!!

Hello

No, it's impossible

AC cobra rightly, we can ask Dassault but they will only do it for a very small number of files and only in exceptional cases ... Justifiable. Educational licenses are not allowed to be used in production

G.casters is also right, we can do an export/import part for example in parasolid  .... but we lose the design  history and the assembly constraints!

On the other hand, even if we modify the education part with a pro license, the hat remains

Cdlt

Alan

3 Likes

Thank you acombier! Exporting it to step and then switching it back to sldprt works but it's a lot of unnecessary time.

1 Like

Not too much choice in parasilid export

and re-import in SW via function recognition

@+

1 Like

Hello@tous

In addition, even if the hat disappears after adding a modification with a standard version, the version remains with a warning (student license).

This often happens to me when helping students on the forum.

More annoying too, some functions do not work well or not at all.

So the conversion by export and recognition solution seems to me to be the right solution

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello
I come back to this subject because it is close to my heart.
Being a teacher in mechanical engineering, my students have to do several internships in companies and therefore in the design office.
Not to mention the reluctance of employers to take on interns in this field, there is always the problem of workstations equipped with CAD software to be provided to schoolchildren. And given the cost of hardware and especially software, few companies can afford to leave a job to a student for 2 months.
As for the equipment, many students are well equipped; And schools can always lend a position for the duration of the internship. So the solution of an educational version of SolidWorks would be ideal for internships if there wasn't this problem of "little hat" and other inscriptions on the printouts of the drawings.
Because employers are not always aware at the beginning that if a trainee makes a piece with an educational version and it is integrated into an assembly, it is until the drawing of this assembly that we find the educational inscriptions. And this makes a "task" to return the work to a client.
So the only solution is to give the student in internship a subject of no interest to the company, a bone to gnaw on, in order to keep him busy. And very often, we lose all the interest of being in a company, of carrying out real work with a realization at the end, or of being in contact on a project with other designers.
In short, I wonder if there can't be a solution from software providers to "unbridle" the software during the internship period, all of course after the signing of a contract between the different partners (the company, the school and the supplier).
Hoping to be read

3 Likes

Hello Alain.

Of course we all read carefully your writings which are rare these days.   (but rare writings are better than viral screams)

The problem you bring to light is that of the objective of the internship as I have often seen where it makes cheap labor for a few months.

The other posture that I prefer is that of transmitting a certain know-how, (in the spirit of the companions of duty) without waiting for finished products for the company. Here we remain in the case of producing a part in CAD with SW-type software with the sole purpose of allowing the student to practice on real parts, often more complex than those he makes in his school. Also according to the "pure BE" configuration with subcontractors or integrated design offices, this allows him to see the rest of the CAD in the workshop.
The argument of wasting time is often put forward is fallacious, it is enough to organize oneself and to organize HomeWork for the student.
So not a "bone to gnaw" spirit but a "transmission spirit".
A cistern that accumulates knowledge quickly finds a limit, it must one day be transformed into a spring. A knower who does not transmit - for I don't know what a more or less egotistical posture - is a moron who wants us to believe that he has learned everything without others.

AMHA, we should not expect anything more from publishers who already provide a free student license and the time management of a license would be a headache without any real added value for the publisher.

Let's not be naïve, if all publishers allow the student license, it is only to expand their user base at very little cost.
Banks and insurance companies and manufacturers of diapers in maternity wards court young people for this reason alone by giving them false largesse, like a lark (largesse which is always very narrow if you look closely  ;-)  ).

The more young Solidworks users there are, the more Pros there will be using SW. Take software that has few users and try to find, as an employer, someone who knows how to use it and !!!

Personally, I initially chose Inventor and then SW, in particular because of the possible efficient hotline, the large user base and also the existing and non-existing support forums.

Well,  my dear Alain! That said, I sincerely wish you to keep your courage in the service of the transmission of knowledge. The day you doubt when you are a little discouraged comes here because for many on this forum have a great respect for your work and your dedication.

Yours sincerely

Kind regards

5 Likes