Symmetry part copying

Hello everyone

I would like to achieve the symmetry of a piece with a new number while keeping the links between them. (if I modify the "mother" piece I would like the other one to follow)

Is this possible? Thank you in advance for your contribution

Joce

P.S. I'm on SW2013SP05

When you create a symmetrical part in Solidworks you can choose its name without any problem.

Could you explain the problem to me more specifically?

1 Like

See attachment!

I would like to create another piece (new issue, new volume) using a symmetry function (if possible) and be able to keep the links between them.

I can very well copy/paste this part and modify my functions but if I modify the first one I am forced to modify the second one later. If I can avoid doing 2 operations instead of one, it's all good

capture.jpg

Have you tried in configuration? 

I'm not an expert (I always forget how to do the symmetry...) But I have parts that I made and then made the symmetry and depending on the configuration where I am I have one or the other. 

Symmetry is a function not a surface.

In my properties each config has the number of parts but the whole file has a number of its own

e.g. file 930 config A 931, B 932

and thanks to that when I modify config A, config B follows.

If I want to differentiate the parts, then I save the symmetry separately (extract the B config basically).

There are probably simpler things but it works for the moment.

You can do this via assembly. You make a symmetry of your first part by selecting "create symmetrical version" in the options.

Afterwards, it will create a room for you: partsymmetry1.sldprt that you will be able to open and rename.

I don't think that's the only solution, but it works

3 Likes

It automatically saves it to you in the same folder as the first one by the way

In your original piece, you select a plane or flat face that you want to use as a plane of symmetry. And you do Insert / Symmetrical piece...

A new part is created for the moment empty, you choose the options of what you want to recover from your original part, you validate and it's good. You register your piece with the desired name.

You will see an imported body in the Feature Manager with the name of your original part. It's a dynamic link, so if you modify your original part, your symmetry will evolve too.

2 Likes

Otherwise:

- Symmetry of your room

- Split function

- You register independently of the 2 bodies in 2 different rooms.

The day you need to modify, you ONLY edit the source file, the other 2 parts will update automatically.

I would opt for TheWarner's solution, by making a symmetrical part from the assembly for example, or by making the insertion part , a symmetrical component

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers.

I'm going to choose thewarner's solution

On the other hand, one more small question. If I shoot the symmetry function in the assembly, do the links remain intact or is it precisely this function that the 2 parts bind?

However, the assembly must be registered so that the symmetry is also registered.

And don't do away with assembly either... otherwise he loses the link...

1 Like

I had time to tinker. And indeed if I remove the symmetry function in the assembly, the links remain operational.

Oh joy!

Perfect! It's good to know

Hello

Just in case, there is a way to register a splitpart.

You have to show the volume bodies in your room and have the bodies recorded --> right-click in the tree-->show hide...-->right-click on the body folder in the tree of your room-->save....

This solution allows you to save an associative part that is identical to the one you want, but it will not be a symmetry, you will have to invert a reference plane when inserting it into an assembly to make it a symmetry.

Be careful, any changes on the original part must be made before the save bodies function to be updated in the dependent part, or not if they are to be different.

Kind regards