Direct Sketch Dimensioning

Hi all

I went back to solidworks a short time ago and I find myself asking myself some very simple questions (maybe I confused it with Inventor or Catia).

It seems to me that when creating a line in sketch (simple example), it is possible to dimension it directly rather than having to finish it and then use the Dimension tool. When editing my line, I can see the length for information purposes next to my mouse cursor, however I don't remember at all how to proceed to modify it live (A bit like on basic autodesk software such as autocad where you just have to use the TAB shortcut to have access to the current editing settings).

Do you have a solution?

Thank you in advance.

Hello

To do this, you have to go to the system options, and in the sketch section, Check > Enable numeric input on the screen when creating entities > then check the sub-option: > Create a dimension only when the value is entered.

See attachment

activation_de_la_saisie_numerique.pdf
9 Likes

Hello

I'm digging up this post a bit and I'm sorry about it, at home, the odds automatically go to piloted rating when I do that... Do you know how to make them pilot?

Thank you

Hello

When you create a part and the dimensions go into controlled dimensioning, you have to look in the FeatureManager there are three tabs (attachment line value and others) look in the other tab if it is checked and checked. If this is the case, you have to uncheck it and then re-register your part model.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, I just tested this solution but the dimensions are always put in pilot.

Here are the steps I did:

- New part

- create a sketch, enter the values before finishing my sketch (rectangle)

- select the dimensions, uncheck "piloted"

- Save as Part Model

But when I create a new room with this new template, they become "controlled" again.

In itself it's not the end of the world, I size my sketch at the end but it would be a + if I managed to work like this. 

Which version are you on? I'm in 2016 and can you share a piece presenting this problem?

I'm on SolidWorks 2019 SP4. I can't find the solution at the moment. 

piece_cotation_esquisse.sldprt

Hello

I'm on SolidWorks 2017 so I can't open your file but from what I understand, when you create a sketch and add a 2D entity to it, the dimension you place is systematically controlled, is your sketch completely constrained?

Kind regards

Hello

When I create a sketch (for example a rectangle) I point to the first point, then I have the possibility to enter my 2 dimensions but once I validate them, they are placed in pilots. On the other hand, if I put my rectangle down and then side it, it works. 

I hope I'm clear enough :/