Object Rating

Hello

I'm a complete beginner in CAD and I'm feeling my way around solidworks. I also have a 3d printer.

I would like to know how you managed to model an  object in general, and then print it with the right dimensions?

For example I would like to model a phone case for my Nexus 5, so how do I do it?

You take the dimensions directly on the object ??, but then in my case I don't really see how to do it because the phone has a rounded shape!

Where you arrived found the manufacturer dimensions, and so there I understand better!!

I recently discovered that Apple provides a file with all the dimensions of these devices.

I look forward to your advice.

Thanks in advance

Hello

So to learn the basics of Solidworks there is a help well done with the software or else you can glean tutorials on Lynkoa or on Youtube.

For your phone, take the overall dimensions to start with (length, width and height), make a pad with these dimensions and then add roundings with the dedicated function.

Then for the details I can't help you too much, I don't know what you want in the shell

4 Likes

Hello

For my part, I will first try to find the technical sheet giving the dimensions of the model. Secondly, I will take the "blueprint" or 1/1 scale image that can be found on the net, then model by inserting the front, side and top view to be as faithful as possible.

Otherwise, with a bit of luck, the ecist case already made on Grabcad or other and in this case you can download it to then customize it.

In picture, here is an example of a file taken from Grabcad. I just added an outer shell function, but in my opinion there is a way to tinker =)

Source file

coque.png
2 Likes

Well then, there's the ready-made shell.

But I don't know if you're in that perspective.

Link

1 Like

Ok with Bart, and nothing prevents you from getting the base from Grabcad and modifying it for customization and 3D printing

1 Like

Hello

Thank you very much for your answers.

Bart, I tested the outer shell function, but it doesn't work for me, already when I import the source file I don't get the same thing as you, in the tree stops at "Imported5".

And I have an error on the function??

Tomalam, I wanted to have a case that I could customize and print for my phone.

The problem with the already designed cases is that they have no thickness, I need a 1.5 to 2 mm shell.

The solution of the outer shell function seems to me to be a good solution , I just need to understand where my mistakes are, "at the level of the import and the hull function"

sans_titre-2.jpg

Hello

I tested the shell function in all directions, but it can't work because there are curve radii too small to generate the function.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks in advance