Control Ratings

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if someone could explain to me the generalities about the control dimensions? Or if someone had a document on it?

These are the ribs circled on Solidworks

Thank you in advance and have a good day.

1 Like

Hi @ BATCH123

to all Zazaaarrrrr

Aren't the control dimensions dimensions driven by equations?

@+ ;-)

Good evening

I know the absolutes and tolerances but what is a control rating?

Same as GT22 for my shots with the dimensions circled. 

Hello

As shown here: http://help.solidworks.com/2012/french/solidworks/sldworks/c_dimensions_display_options.htm

For Control  Dimensions,right-click on a dimension and select Display Options. The choices available depend on the type of rating and other factors.

Hello

I think @BATCH123! is looking into what these famous control ratings are for; These are indeed the dimensions entirely surrounded by a slotted hole (cf. @l. Prieur).

As for their use, however, I admit I don't know either; To echo @BATCH123!: what are they used to report to the machinist? When should they be used? etc...

Interesting question then, thank you for asking!

I went through the Industrial Designer's Guide (GDI Chevalier) and I couldn't find anything!

On the other hand, I found information under another name: "inspection rating".

This would be useful a priori for part control in the case of a very large series, to know how often to check this dimension to adjust the machine afterwards, extract:

Inspection ratings allow you to report how often manufactured parts need to be checked so that the dimension value and tolerances of the parts are within the specified range.

When handling parts that must conform to a tolerance or dimension value before assembling them into the final product, you can use an inspection dimension to specify how often the part should be checked.

2 Likes

Hello

For my part, I think that this control dimension designates a theoretical dimension (boxed and without tolerance) and which is used, among other things, to define the position of the zone of tolerance of Location in relation to the primary, secondary, ... Afterwards, a calculation of the tolerance interval of these dimensions is necessary to be able to carry out the metrology check.

Kind regards.

Hello

Framed ribs are non-measurable ribs, for example with calipers.

Example: a flat face with respect to a drilling axis. The caliper cannot measure a drilling axis precisely.

Have a nice day!

Hello

Control Rating = Inspection Rating.

Specifies a value that will be populated in a control report.

@+

3 Likes

Hello

As indicated by Drafttoshape , a control dimension is used to signal to the control office of a company the dimension or dimensions to be checked on their control machine and therefore it is the dimensions that will be in the control report and as indicated by the prior, this very often corresponds to serial parts.

1 Like

Okay, thank you for all your answers.

I have also just been told that it is the sides that are controlled by the quality department, and that it is therefore absolutely necessary to respect them.

Have a good day;)