Dimensions and function on Inventor

In an assembly, I have a first part in which I have a 2 mm hole (this hole has the variable Ex: d22) in a second part, I made a 3 mm hole variable by default Ex: d50. I would like to give this 3 mm hole (d50) for example the function  =d22+2.

It doesn't work.

If d22 and d50 are part of the same part no problem it works, but if these 2 variables belong to 2 different parts I can't do it.

Thank you for your help.

You must be missing the reference of your parts related to the rating.

Parts 1 side d22

Pieces 2 Side D50

Kind regards

Bastien

1 Like

Hello

Indeed, as Bastien says, the side-by-side relationship is not enough because your software will look for 2 dimensions in the same room. The link to the quote must also contain the link to the relevant part.

Thomas

To complete my answer I think you should proceed like this:

- you should display the different sketches and dimensions you need (if I remember correctly in the display tab)

- then you create your Rating and instead of filling in the name of the Rating (d22)  you click on the Rating you need.

Kind regards

Bastien

Hello and thank you for your answers.

I understood your answers, and I had already tried to give the right variable by selecting it directly in the right room... but that's my problem, I can't display the sketch where my 3mm hole appears (part 2) and at the same time: the sketch of my 2mm hole (part 1) or the table showing the variable d22 corresponding to this Ø of 2mm. I looked again in the "Show" menu but I can't find anything.

In other words, when I am in my sketch room 2, it is impossible to have access to anything other than this sketch.

Thank you for your help

Hello

To do this, you need to link the parameters of part A to the parameters of room B.

There is an add-on called linkparameter but I can't find it anymore and I don't know if it's compatible with Inventor 2014.

That said, it was nothing more and nothing less than the manual method described in the blog "inventor tales" that I highly recommend.

http://www.inventortales.com/2013/04/linking-parameters-from-one-part-to.html

Otherwise, there is associativity...

In both cases, I'm not a fan of this method which could modify parts by forgetting to modify the plans and all the sub-assemblies using this part.... Configuration management is a must...

Yours sincerely.

Jonathan.

2 Likes