Solidworks 2016 Icon Colors

Is it possible to restore the icons of SW2016 functions to the way they looked in SW2014?

Indeed in the 2016 all the icons become blue / gray a little opaque and it really changes from the bright yellow of the 2014.

If anyone has a solution, let me know! Thank you

01.jpg
2 Likes

Hi David,

It seems that this is a voluntary evolution of Dassault for a standardization between its different products. So it seems that we have to get used to it!

4 Likes

Wow my god, yes, I understand. It's really not beautiful these new colors!

6 Likes

To be precise, it is their new graphic charter joining 3D Experience.

3 Likes

Try to find the directory where the icons are located (if it exists) and change the colors.. ?

Edit:

notably I found something under SolidWorks 2013 in: solidworks2013/SolidWorks/data/resources/sldCostMachined

For your information, the icons of SW 2016 have been redesigned to be more explicit and simplified.

They are also + colorblind friendly.

That's it for the record... =)

7 Likes

Hello

Personally I like it.

And habits are made to change! No?

1 Like

I have learned my lesson Flegendre? =)

Otherwise, I think it's better not to touch the data files etc... If you want your log to remain stable....

I won't tempt the devil just for colors. Can't change the colors of your screen? :p

2 Likes

+1 with @remrem.

It is impossible (I am sure) to go back to the colors of the old versions. All icons have been redesigned and redesigned with softer colors (less aggressive) and above all compatible with high-definition screens.

We'll have to get used to it, of course, but I think it will be better for our "eyes".

5 Likes

It looks a bit like excel, word etc... I like it enough

Hi all

There is an option to change the background color, but no option to change the icons.

See here:

http://help.solidworks.com/2016/french/solidworks/sldworks/hidd_options_system_colors.htm

What it can look like:

4 Likes

Hello

There was not only a change in the graphic charter in the 2016 version.

Indeed, the icons are now vector images. This allows SOLIDWORKS to adapt the interface regardless of the resolution (up to 8K screens, we were told) without the risk of having tiny icons.

I therefore strongly advise against trying to play with the icons because the technology is not the same at all (they are not in an installation folder but everywhere in the dlls).

Ha, tastes and colors... :-)

5 Likes

Hello

And in a few months, when we get used to the new colors, we will find that the old ones were not that bad. 

4 Likes

The decision not to keep the now old colors was partly justified by the fact that almost no user understood the meaning of these colors (as imagined by SOLIDWORKS).

By the way, have you ever asked yourself the question?

• Why 2 main colors on an icon? What are their meanings?
  • why did the functions have different colors depending on their field of application (volume, surface, sheet metal, mechanically welded, sketch)?

The problem with SOLIDWORKS also came from certain functions that can be used in many fields (the fillet function is the same, for example, for surfaces and volumes)...

Faced with this observation and an impression of an interface in the colors of a Harlequin, SOLIDWORKS has chosen modernity and a Flat Design interface that has proven itself in many other fields where no one is going back (iOS, Android, Windows...)

Having said that... It's now done...

Personally, after 5 months with this 2016 version (long live the Beta Test :-) ), I now have a lot of trouble coming back even occasionally to a 2015 version (let's not even talk about the previous versions :-) )

3 Likes

@cdemuynck:

Do you work with SW2016 on a daily basis?

What is your use? Just visualization?

I also participate in the Beta program. I did a few small projects with SW2016. I quickly adapted to the interface. And I don't find it confusing.

What is your opinion on your use of SW 2016?

@remrem

I am a consultant at Visiativ.

I am mainly in charge of pre-sales or service actions for our customers:

• Audits  to identify ways to improve productivity. Solutions can include data flows, methodology, training, or software solutions.
  • demonstrations or presentation of models that can relate to all Dassault Systèmes SOLIDWORK and DRIVEWORKS solutions

As such, I use all the features of SOLIDWORKS more than frequently in a rather disconcerting variety of professions.

When I started on this 2016 version, I realized that I didn't look at the icon to locate a command but that very often I knew where it was in the interface out of habit (so the color can still change as far as I'm concerned :) ).

I am generally more annoyed when orders are moved. I remember for example the 2015 version where many menus were grouped together which bothered me a little for some orders for a few days.

Fortunately, the command search tool (default w key), a real GPS of the interface, allows you to quickly find your little  :). In addition, it allows you to launch a command directly (like a command line).

2 Likes

@cdemuynck: there are still 2 colors even with the new icons. Only they are less visible on the new interface. The basic function is the same color as the toolbar.

edit: My reposne also has 2 colors!??   Lynkoa's new interface?? I don't know how I did it.

You copied the name which is actually a link and you wrote your first sentence in this one. Hence the color blue.

1 Like

@opiep: before there was yellow for volumes, orange for surfaces and green for functionality in particular, blue for sketches, and grey/black

And as @cdemuynck says, the leave was in yellow for the surfaces too because it's the same function...  

Hello

I take the liberty of re-opening this topic because I have just installed 2016 SP3.

cdemuynck : I think that Solidworks is not following the Flat Design trend as you claim.

Flat Design is the fact of simplifying the icons as much as possible, but as you can see on the attached image, Solidworks has not simplified these icons, on the contrary.

Cdt

sans_titre_10.jpg