Creating a macro in soliworks to create a profile via extrusions

Hello 

I would need help creating a macro on Solidworks:

Here's what I'd like to get. 

I have a yellow cylinder.

I have a second blue cylinder. 

What I would like to do is a removal of material in the yellow cylinder according to the blue cylinder with different coordinates and parameters. I have the yellow cylinder that needs to be set up according to an angle C. And then I have the blue cylinder that needs to be set to X. I would then need the combination of the two: I rotate the yellow cylinder xC, I move from yX axially from the yellow blue, I do a material removal. Then I do xC rotation of the yellow cylinder again, I move from zX axially, I do a material removal. And that X times. 

My parameter table could be in an excel table or other. Please find below a diagram of what I would like with an excel table of the parameters I could have. 

In reality, I have 1.57° which is equivalent to an axial feed of 0.042mm. 

I would like to do at least 3 turns, i.e. 360° x 3 =  1080°. 1080/1.57 =  688. So the macro would have to be able to handle at least 688 material removals. I hope it won't be too heavy. 

Do you think it should be feasible? I have no knowledge of macro on Solidworks. Thanks in advance

Hello

For curiosity do you have a visual of what you want in the end, I think it will help those who will pass by here. But I feel that with such a small angle it makes you row to generate all this.

Hello

Apart from the fact that it can make Solidworks lag, there is a little thing that bothers me, it's the remark "I have no knowledge in terms of macro on Solidworks", from there it may be a bit tedious ...

Kind regards

I'm here to learn. 

If there are already people who have made macros of this type, I could be inspired by them. 

At least I would like to know if it is feasible.

Thank you

Kind regards

No need for macro.

What you're describing is the Solid Sweep Cut function.

You just need to set a spiral for the displacement profile of the blue cylinder

see this video as an example: https://youtu.be/PryfYA6F510?t=277 

and this one: https://youtu.be/lzU-4UJYESI?t=207

Hello JeromeP.

Thank you for your answer, but no, I know this function and it's not what I'm looking for. It's part of my job to simulate machining. CNC control, you have to think of it as jerky movements, and I don't get a smooth profile on my part but facets that I would like to reproduce in 3D by doing as accurately as possible what the machine does; i.e. a given rotational movement in C for an axial advance in X 

Sincerely, 

Hello

For the question " At least, I would like to know if it's feasible ", as long as almost all the functions of Solidworks are accessible by the APIs then we can, without too much risk, say that yes it's feasible. You can start by listing the functions you need using the macro recorder for example.

Kind regards

Hello 

When I looked around, I found: 

How to set up an assembly on excel. So I can set my angle C and my X position. What I don't know how to do is to transcribe my need which is to read the line N in the excel file with the parameter X and the parameter C, update the assembly, perform a material removal and then the macro continues by reading the line following N+1  with the parameter X and the parameter C, updates the assembly, performs a material removal and then moves to the N+2 line etc... until N+ oo, or at least, until you get to an empty line in the Excel table. 

If you could give me the VBA code for this function please..  

Thanks in advance 

Hi all 

So yes there is the volume removal but it was continuous and not jerky as he wishes, I was able to do the same thing with a spiral but with 1 simple material removal on x thickness and then a repetition by curve. Then you just have to enter the different dimensions in the equation system of SW for example or part family via excel table if you want to change the sizes.

Be careful, the removal of material will not necessarily correspond to reality if the tool remains in place and you turn the yellow part (removal of steps due to movement) on the other hand if the tool moves backwards, then rotation of the yellow and re-machining then backwards and so on, there yes the visual that I have attached will be close to reality.

Hoping I was clear^^

Of course, the removal of x688 material takes time, don't dream, but once done it takes less time to change the values.

Which SW are you under??

I'm attaching the play in SW 2019 for those who can.

enlevment_pilote.sldprt
1 Like

@ FUZ3D, I think you solved my problem, I'll test it right away.  

I have solidworks 2019. 

I will keep you informed. Thank you 

From memory I think it is possible to make a VBA a small interface to enter all the sides / diameters and for example use the SW equations to make the ratio between spiral length / number of revolutions / pitches.... It all depends on how it will be configured in fact.

If you are in SW 2019 all you have to do is change the values to your liking^^, in any case thank you it allowed you to rack your brains, it feels good ^^

FUZ3D, you may be able to help me with another problem, which is similar. 

I have another tool, which is hob trimming. See below

You have to imagine that the hob, the tool, is a worm screw to which you have made gougurs, i.e. axial cuts to create teeth. For simulation, I don't need to have these gougurs. Is it possible to do the same thing as what you did before, that is to say that if I rotate my tools by X degree, it makes my part rotate by Y degree, and at each degree of rotation, I would like to remove material. My screw has straight sides. The multitude of material removal with the two synchronized rotations should look like this: 

So, with a screw with straight flanks, I will be able to have teeth in circle involute. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards 

Now I'm afraid I won't be able to help.

And for it to give straight teeth, the tool is not supposed to go up and down? Otherwise the gear would have teeth in an arc and not straight if I'm not mistaken, not to mention the advance between the tool and the gear for the depth of the teeth.

FUZ3D, no that's what I want, involute teeth of a circle, or an arc of a circle as you say. 

By the way, here is an overview of what I was able to do on my piece with your method. It's exactly what I was looking for. For the sake of confidence, I could not give the solidworks file or zoom out on the entire part.