Creation of surface volume based on 3 sketches

Hello

I've been stuck for 2 days on the creation of the surface of a teardrop float on Solidworks. I defined 3 sketches on the 3 planes. The image is in copy.

Sketches 1&2 are splines passing through about twenty constrained points in [x;y] coordinates.

Sketch 3 is a closed spline that tangles splines 1 & 2, without a rib. Its dimensions therefore adapt to its position along the dotted axis. This gives you an idea of the final shape I want to achieve.

I imagined generating the float surface by advancing spline 3 all along the axis, but I can't find the right surface creation function and/or set the chosen function correctly.

Could you help me?

Kind regards

Donatien

flotteur.png

If your splines are symmetrical and similar 

makes a revolution 

@+

1 Like

I forgot to mention that the profiles of splines 1 & 2 are different, so it's not possible to make a revolution. I did the test hoping that the revolution adapts to the change between the 2 profiles, but it's not possible with the function :/

Hello

You can model only 1/4 of your float to create your surface. Then you will make symmetries to create the complete body.

For your surface, you're going to make a smooth surface between your profiles 1 and 2, and use your sketch 3 in a guide curve.

After your symmetries, you can choose with the thicken function to create a volume or just a thickness, or to leave your surfaces behind.

2020-11-08__flotteur.pdf
3 Likes

Otherwise you can also do it in 1 straightening. But splitting your sketch 1 into 2 sketches. and the same goes for sketch 2.

In your smoothing, you select your sketches in the correct order. And your sketch 3 in guide curve. + Firm smoothing option.

2020-11-08__flotteur_5.jpg
4 Likes

Thank you for your two answers opiep27, I'll test it right away and I'll tell you if it's passed;)

1 week later: I finally managed to generate the volume with the second method (4 sketches + closed smoothing). No need for a guide curve in this case, the program understands that the surface must be tangent to the splines of each sketch at all times.

Thank you for your help opiep27 :)