Create a configuration in DriveworksXpress

Hi all 

I'm in the process of learning about DriveworksXpress and I have a little problem.

I have made products that are now used to create a family of products.

I'm going to have to create a multitude of products with just a length that will change (in several pieces).

With DriveworksXpress, I do this pretty easily.

My problem is that I would like to have only one product and several configurations, rather than many products.

However, with DriveworksXpress, I can't create a new config in my parts, but just create a new part.

Does anyone have an idea to solve this?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Hello

An interesting article on the subject entitled:

"Why you shouldn't use configurations with DriveWorks"

Issue 1

By adding configurations to your SolidWorks master model you are increasing the data stored within the file, resulting in the master assembly file getting VERY BIG, VERY QUICKLY! If you ever needed to send this to anyone, the massive file would be diffcult to move around.

DriveWorks Solution 1

DriveWorks takes a copy of your master models, the file size does not increase. As DriveWorks takes a copy of the files and works on those, the files can be easily transferred from machine to machine without having to worry about anyone else having a copy of your master data.

Issue 2

If you are working with your SolidWorks master models and all your automated design configurations are kept within one file - if anything happens to this file (e.g. it gets deleted or becomes corrupt during the creation of a new configuration), all your master model data could be lost.

DriveWorks Solution 2

DriveWorks does not do anything to your master models, other than take a copy of the files. This ensures you will never run the risk of corrupting or losing all of your master model data when creating new configurations.

Issue 3

Using configurations also limits the interaction you have with drawings.

DriveWorks Solution 3

As DriveWorks creates brand new files, it also can create brand new drawings that reference these new files, this ensures the correct models appear on the drawing. DriveWorks also gives you the tools and ability to have a high level of control of the final drawing sheet, by controlling elements such as: the scale of the drawing views, any annotations that appear on the drawing and also custom properties in the drawing.

Source: http://blogs.driveworks.co.uk/driveworks/2012/05/why-you-should-not-make-new-configurations-using-your-solidworks-master-model.html

Hello

The goal of DriveWorks is precisely to duplicate the files for each execution.

What you want to do is done in SolidWorks directly with a part family coupled to the "Configuration Manager" (right-click in the configuration tab at the very top of the tree).

@+

Thank you Lucas and Coyote for your answers.

So this is really impossible?

It's a shame, it would have allowed me to create all the parts and the plans for them very quickly.

The principle of going through the configuration manager is what I do now, but I saw that I could increase the speed even more by using DriveWorksXpress.

The goal for me to make configurations was not to have to take back all the models as soon as one of them has to change.

If you ever have any idea of something combining DriveworksXpress and configuration, I'm all for it.

Thank you very much in any case.

Obviously, the solution to my problem can be found in the families of parts and their excel files.

Thank you anyway for your help.