Create a surface with guide curves on two different axes

Hello

I'm modeling a seating surface for a seat. I can't get a clean and smooth surface, when I check my surface using the zebra or curvature tool it shows some appearance defects.

For my first try I cut my surface into 4 pieces, I made 4 border surfaces. Then I symmetricald and sewed the whole thing.

I wanted to know if there was another way to make this surface. My idea would be to use the outline delimiting my surface and then give my 5 guide curves to define my surface in one piece, is it feasible?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Jérémy

capture-01.jpg
capture-02.jpg

Hello

Try with "Surface fill" by showing 4 boundaries with possible tangencies and curves or stress sketches. (It also works with a 3D sketch containing points)

Share your curves, we'll try:)

Cdlt

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for your answer. I tried with a full surface but it's not great, at least for me. I did with the border surface as a result. I'm attaching my piece if it helps so you can try.

Jérémy

assise.sldprt
capture-03.jpg
capture-04.jpg

Hello @j.bernard_1 ,

Some indications to obtain the expected result...

- the Surface-Smoothing function seems to be the most suitable for you;
- it is desirable to ensure that the endpoints of the guide curves are positioned on the profile curves, and vice versa. SolidWorks sometimes has difficulty with curve "overshoots";
- To ensure the symmetry of the seat, the simplest way is to define a half-surface, then generate the other half by symmetry. Remember to constrain the normal half-surface to the plane of symmetry to avoid an edge in the middle of the seat.

The enclosed model is made with SW 2018, without completely constraining the sketches.
Kind regards.

siege.sldprt
2 Likes

Hello @m.blt,

Thank you so much for your answer, which is exactly what I was looking to do. I learned something because I didn't know that it was possible to separate the profiles and guide curves in this way. I'm putting on the screen print to share this method of creating a surface.

This will allow me to improve my parts in the future.

Jérémy

capture-05.jpg

Hello @j.bernard_1,

Don't forget to name the answer that solved your problem. Indeed, it allowed to close the question on the forum and also allows to help other users who would have the same problem.

Kind regards