Beginner in BE: how to choose the subject

Hello everyone, I am a beginner in a BE and I have a few questions. First of all, I would like to have some indications to choose the subject: how do you do it? I did an IUT in mechanical engineering but now that it's concrete, I'm lost. I would like general information such as: how to choose between a laminate and a stretched one? Why choose an A60 over an S235? 

And any other information I could use to me. Thank you.

Hello

Please tell us the software used because it is not entered in the parameters of your question.

Edit: Off topic!

1 Like

Hello

It all depends on the function of your part, do you need a TTH, should it be weldable..... In fact, you have to create a CDC.then in books like e.g. the memo or the cartoonist's guide you can find information.

Cdt

Fred

2 Likes

I thought I clicked on SolidWorks, but I don't think it changes from one software to another :-)

1 Like

Thank you for this beginning of my answer Fred, could you elaborate on the different cases?

Which grade will be weldable?

Which shade will be more suitable for a treatment? Blackening, for example, is done on all types of steel and is just a protection? 

For weldability, you have to pay attention to the percentage of carbon. For example, a 42CrMo4 is more difficult to weld.

As far as information is concerned, I use this site:

http://www.construiracier.fr/tout-sur-lacier/normes-et-nuances-dacier/

2 Likes

can you give us a little CDC so that we can help you define a subject,

Cdt

Fred

@Fred: I think it's a global issue, which teachers don't really explain explicitly.

Example: depending on the process, the orientation of the fibers is different and can impact the design of a part.

I've never been told that before. And even if it seems obvious, you have to think about it! :)

1 Like

Right, that's a general question!

Having left school 5 years ago, I allow myself to give you my point of view:

The material must be chosen according to its characteristics, which change depending on the process. For example, an extrusion die orients the fibers while a casting in a foundry does not give the same result.

As for the choice of a steel for example, S235 is general and used everywhere, so easier to find for my subcontractor, as well as S355 or 42CrMo4 with much better properties (or 42CD4).

If there is welding, the material may be different, or machining, bar turning ... or even to make springs. Basically, there is a material suitable for the functions and methods of production.

And therefore do not forget that a subcontractor does not have all these references in stock. There may be a tendency to accept a material available in stock rather than having to order with a deadline. 

2 Likes

Following the remrem link, what is the difference between S structural steels and E mechanical steels, for example S235 and E195 is just the yield strength?

@alexandra:

Yes, that's right.

Hello

In addition to all that has already been said, it is necessary to consider

• the cost: from memory to go from S235 to S355 +10%, from galvanized sheet to stainless steel sheet x4,...
  • the final environment: if you make an element to be outdoors on the Atlantic coast, you will more easily put stainless steel, for example, in the food industry, 304L or 316 stainless steel
  • The lifespan of the equipment: my element on the Atlantic coast, if it is only going to last one summer I switch it to S235...
  • The aesthetic side if these are parts of appearance that may require special treatments.
1 Like