Dell XPS 15 for Solidworks?

Hi all

I've been working for many years on a Dell precision M2800 workstation, and a 2015 version of SW.

I want to change my workstation, and I was hesitating between 2 DELL products:

- New XPS 15 (W10 pro 64bits / i7-10750 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1650 Ti card / UHD display)

- Precision 5540 (W10 pro 64bits / i7-9850H / 32GB RAM / Nvidia quadro T2000 card / UHD display)

I know that the precision is designed to turn SW, but it is available within 1 month and costs 1000€ more than the XPS

My questions are therefore the following : do you have any feedback on the XPS15 and in particular the graphics card? No display bugs with UHD?I think I'll have to update  SW15 to newer, right?

Thank you in advance for your advice/feedback!

Hello

I'm not a computer scientist, but my pc is more powerful than yours and it lags it's an I9.

The more important is the graphics card, the higher the number the better. Mine P5000 Nvidia quadro and it's limited.

Well, we open assemblies of more than 10000 components.

But hey, it all depends on what you want to do. I'm a standard version of SolidWorks (2020), not the professional one , which is pretty good too.

The best thing to do is to inquire with SolidWorks or click on this link https://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

And yes you have to change the version because the 2015 has worked well since then, and will become obsolete, that is to say no more maintenance, it stops at 2017, look at the link above.

Good luck.

@+.

AR

1 Like

Good evening

What size  of assemblies do you work on?

On my side,  we have two types of  portable config

Precision 5750 nVidia , Quadro RTX 3000 4gb , 16 GB RAM

Runs well for 500-piece assemblies

Precision 7750, Quadro RTX 4000 6GB, 32GB RAM

This config for larger assemblies.

Personally a little limited the XPS 15 config. After all, it all depends on your use.

You will have to switch to a more recent  version of solidworks to take full advantage of your new configuration.

Kind regards.

1 Like

The problem is the graphics card: the GTX is a game card that does not know how to interpret the instructions of CAD software (open GL). So you're going to pay (dearly) for a graphics card that won't be used by the system.

In terms of price, I don't know what options you have but I have more like a 300€ difference.
By the way, you talk about the Precision 5540 but there is a new version, the 5550.
In terms of price, with the same options (i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD), we get, on Dell's website:
- Precision 5540: 1960€;
- XPS 15: 2200€ (but no suitable graphics card so big risk of big disappointment);
- Precision 5550: 2400€ (Quadro T1000) / 2500€ (Quadro T2000).

Personally, if you're used to making your equipment last and you have the budget, I wouldn't ask the question too much.

For the change of version, it is a little more complex.
- I assume you don't have a maintenance contract? You will therefore have to pay the equivalent of the price of a license. There is a reflection to be carried out with your salesperson on the different possible options.
- SW15 is certainly compatible with W10 but it is the first version (and still only from SP5) to do so, so clearly not optimized.
- As @A.R said, SW is no longer maintained but not being under contract it didn't bother you more than that. The question is: have you had any annoying/blocking bugs?

2 Likes

Thank you all for your advice/recommendations.

My use of SW is not greedy, since they are mainly small assemblies (<100 pieces).

Nevertheless, I'm not going to go for the XPS, and favor a precision with a quadro.

And for SW I'm going to look into it!

Thank you