Moving the Position of the Drop Shadow in Solidworks

Hello

Can you tell me the menu and the procedure to follow to move the drop shadow of the solidworks display when it does not correspond to the base of the object

Thank you

caisse_bureau_140.pdf
1 Like

Hello

In my opinion, what conditions the position of the shadow is the position of the first piece assembled in the assembly.

Maybe you shouldn't put it by default but slightly offset from the top plane of the ASM.

Thomas

Hello

Try changing the position of your lights.

Good luck

capture.jpg
2 Likes

Thank you for your answers but the editing of the scenes and the setting which if found has no impact on the cast shadow.

Kind regards

Sorry, I hadn't opened the attachment. I understand better now:)

Is the top plane positioned in contact with the desk legs or is it offset?

Otherwise, by editing the scene, it is possible to move the basic shot according to the double arrow, see the attached capture.

capture.jpg

Thank you for your answers but the editing of the scenes and the setting which if found has no impact on the cast shadow.

Kind regards

I re-positioned the bottom view too.... nothing to do

Once repositioned, disabled and then reactivated the drop shadows, once reactivated it should change position

1 Like

Hello

I deactivated and reactivated too but it doesn't move

Kind regards

Put a box to prop up the desk and it will hit the floor;)

I just tested in an assembly under solidworks 2013, I activated the drop shadow, then I went to the Display Manager tab, I moved the directional light1 and the shadow moves well depending on the orientation of this light

1 Like

To change the position on the ground you have to stretch the scene in the scene and camera tab of the dispay manager. 

Click straight on stage, stretch the stage and there you can change the orientation of the floor, align it with a face .....

Then if you want to change the orientation of the lights to make a longer shadow for example, I stage myself as "total obsurity" and I place my lights myself. 

2 Likes

Is it possible to edit the file with us, I don't understand at all why it doesn't work when I have just retried at home and everything follows.

Hi Hairy Uncle

The procedure you give me works  in "realview" mode but not in shaded default display or there is a trick to migrate it

Kind regards

Good evening

@thierry.kozera you have to activate the Real View to have an image and shadows calculated correctly, why would you want to disable it?

@+

ok so without the realview: go to the Display Manager tab, go to the scene, right click edit the scene, in the "floor" insert align the ground with: choose a different plane like XY for example and there the shadow will be cast on a different plane

4 Likes

Hello

Simply that the default display is enough for me, the rendering of the wood decorations in realview is not very natural  and less sharp that's all. I believe that by default it takes the base of the longest piece at its creation without taking into account the removal of material.

Ground shadowsDisplays the model's shadows on the floor.
 Align the soil withAlign the ground with a plan. Select XY, YZ, XZ , or Selected Plan.

When you change the alignment, the orientation of the view changes, while keeping the floor below the model.

Select a flat face to position the floorAvailable when Align Ground with Selected  Layer is selected.

1 Like

Hello

The shadow is cast parallel to the top plane (XZ) and aligned with the most basic Y-shaped geometry.

According to my tests, the problem arises when it is a rounded face that is positioned the lowest in the assembly (see attached screenshot).

Try to temporarily remove all the roundings on the legs of your furniture.

And also try to position a room lower without rounding to see if the shadow aligns correctly.

testombredecalee.jpg
1 Like

Hello fgirard

You have identified the problem well, I will try the different manipulations I will keep you informed

Thank you Thierry