Determine the thickness of a shell by doing simulations on solidworks?

Hello, I modeled a car using the surface functions in the solidworks software. I would like to determine by simulations, the optimal thickness of my body so that the final body structure is as light as possible. I chose as a material an aluminum alloy whose standard designation is: EN AW5083[AlMg4,5Mn0,7]. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Kind regards.

Hello

The following scenarios should be used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsArZ9UBigI

1 Like

Hello

You have to do a design study, to be able to play on the thickness between 2 values while asking for the objective of lowering the weight;

To do this, right click in the "motion study" tab at the bottom of solidworks.

@+

1 Like

@.PL don't need a simulation license to do this, see my previous post

1 Like

Hello 

I tend to agree with .PL because in his case, the data to be varied is the thickness, I don't really think there is a need for a simulation study to know that the lower the thickness, the lower the mass will be:)

I would agree with you coyote, if we wanted to know the optimal shape by varying several dimensions and we wanted to obtain a scenario where the weight of the part would be as low as possible by keeping a useful interior volume for example, but for this question, I think that a simulation study is necessary to know if we exceed the yield strength of a material for example by playing with the thickness of the body but while maintaining the same physical constraints in all these scenarios.

At least, that's how I see it;)

Have a nice day

Mick

2 Likes

Ok but this is not specified in the question but totally agree with you 2

1 Like

Thank you for all his advice. I will quickly put them into practice. 

I take this opportunity to raise another concern that I have encountered in my work. In fact, I ran a simulation on flow simulation. The aim of this simulation is to study the airflow on the body of the vehicle. But, the simulation fails because of the geometry of the car. Would you know what I should do in this case?  

Good evening, it's better to ask a new question for more visibility.