Surface development for hull

Hello, everyone!
With the idea of making an old dream come true, I would need to make the model below 1/1 scale for a flight simulator.
I was thinking of cutting a wooden skeleton on CN (like a boat frame), then dressing it with bendable CP (souplex) ep. 8mm
My difficulty lies in the division of the dressing panels. Indeed, the bendable cp deforms very well in one direction, but remains relatively rigid on its perpendicular.
Does anyone have experience on a similar project?
Do you have any ideas on the positioning of the trim panel cutouts?
Is there a function in solidworks (or other program), allowing to divide a surface according to an allowable bending modulus?
I hope I have been clear enough, do not hesitate if you need more details

cockpit_simulateur_de_vol.sldprt
squelette.png
cockpit.png
1 Like

Hello

To answer this [ Is there a function in solidworks (or other program), allowing to divide a surface according to an allowable bending modulus?], the answer is no.
Even if we used the simulation module, it wouldn't work, especially with CP.

You can perhaps take the problem differently by looking at what model pilots do for small fat boats.
Indeed, as it is for a one-shot project, it does not try to do something complicated, especially since if the material does not want to bend, it will not bend, even with a nice calculation. Indeed, the matter must be able to elongate in three dimensions, which is not the case  with CP

If I had to solve this problem I would make a polystyrene shape and cover it with an epoxy composite in several layers (like the hulls of planes, catamarans or boats or windsurfers in the past) which would allow me to almost do without the structure as in the photo. You would only have to put attachment points inside or outside the case according to your needs.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hello @Wannetouhane,

Not having installed SW 2021, I roughly rebuilt a cockpit model with the 2020 version, probably smaller than the one in your project ("diameter" 400 mm, length 1000 mm).

Obviously, the surfaces of your model are not developable. Therefore, it is impossible to obtain them by deformation of a flat plate, even if it can be bent...
However, there is one way to go, inspired by model making (wooden boat hulls), the manufacture of barrels, or cartography (Mercator): divide the surface into narrow blades that are easier to "warp", then assemble them on the skeleton.

SolidWorks allows blade shapes to be approximated by dividing the fuselage into sectors via radial separation lines, and then flattening each sector separately. It is even possible to give a thickness by treating the inner surface in the same way.
The preferred direction of deflection of your CP is the longitudinal direction of the blades. There remains the problem of the number of boards, their machining, bending in the transverse direction (or sanding), the possible angle of the edges, the warping of the boards, the quality of the joints...

What is the validity of this proposal insofar as the sectors themselves are not developable?
I'll leave it to you to answer...

Kind regards.

cockpit.sldprt
2 Likes

Hi everyone, thank you for your answers!

The solution of molding resin on a polystyrene form would save me the hours of complicated calculation, but given the dimensions of the project (Ø2500, lg 5000). I'm not sure I'm equipped to make the shape.

It is nevertheless relevant to rely on proven methods (model making, water sports, etc.), I would dig into this side!

For the division into developable surface area, it is indeed a solution that I had in mind at the beginning. However, I didn't have the method to apply it on solidworks, thank you for your work.

I don't think it's necessary to prepare the angle of view given the thickness of the plates (8 mm).

As for the bending, the souplex has the rigidity of a sheet of paper on its bending axis, fixing it on the skeleton should be enough to hold it in place. 

I'll try to see if I can find a compromise between the developable surface and the more or less realistic shape of the cockpit.

Thank you again for your indications, I will keep you informed on the evolution of the project.

2 Likes