SolidWorks Viewer & Edrawings Difference

Hi all

Does anyone know the difference between SolidWorks Viewer (available in the free tool download after logging in to the SolidWorks website) and Edrawings?

A priori the 2 allow you to open SolidWorks files.

Thank you.

Hello

Yes, both open SolidWorks files.

The advantage of eDrawings is that it allows those who don't have CAD to see CAD files without installing anything.

Yves

1 Like

In both cases, do you need to install the software (SW Viewer or Edrawings)? So why "without installing anything"?

Ah, I get it, because it's possible with Edrawings to create executables, right?

Yes there is that, Html too.

Also to check, but with SW Viewer, I don't think it's possible to make cuts, measure, add annotations compared to an edrawings Pro

Mickael

1 Like

Yes, that's it...

I went fast and I expressed myself badly in my first message.

The interest of one or the other of the solutions depends on who should look at the plans.

A customer? In this case, I do an exe edrawing for him, he doesn't have to install anything, it's super practical and fast.

The foreman? In this case, maybe I install SolidWorks Viewer on a PC and he can "type" in the plans he wants if he ever needs it...

The difference is not in the 2 solutions themselves, but rather, what is the profile of the person who needs to see a CAD file :-)

To complete what Yves says:

At DUBUS Group, fitters, buyers or other non-BEM people who need to consult SolidWorks drawings, derived from the BEM, have the Edrawing software (free version) on their PC for the following reasons:

- they can read from native SolidWorks with Edrawings when needed.

- They have access to a measurable Edrawing database (automatically converted from SolidWorks files via EPDM and before EPDM it was with the BatchConverter utility): the advantage of the edrawing file compared to the "exe" eDrawing file is the size of the file: very light for the former, a little heavier for the second because in the executable you can find the +soft file.

- For customers, service providers, subcontractors, we provide either:

The "exe" eDrawing

or the Edrawing (from our Edrawing database) with a link to download the free software (in case the file(s) are too large).

We weren't using the SolidWorks Viewer at all.

1 Like