DWG 3D Lite

Hello to all lynkoaeurs and lynkoaeuses ;).

For some time now, I have been asked to save my SolidWorks assemblies (178 MB, 5600 components) in DWG 3D.

So far so good, an ACIS, an opening on DraftSight and voila!

But the problem is in the size of the DWG file!

For reasons of ease of sending and for a question of easy handling of my assembly, I am required to have a DWG of less than 8MB!

No matter how much I test several options (asm transformed into prt, defeature, ...) I can't get anywhere.

So I am asking you to know if any of you would not have a method to carry out this type of transfer.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

@+

In fact, what makes the weight is the number of faces and the number of triangles (the faces are broken down into triangles).

Apart from simplifying the geometry, you won't be able to reduce the size by transforming the assembly into 1 piece, etc.

I'm going to look at the options to save in ACIS and the one to switch to DWG 3D... But there will certainly be a graphical degradation.

I'll get back to you as soon as I've watched all this.

1 Like

Well, Coyote asking a question!!

More seriously, it's not possible to tackle the final file rather than the design itself (winzip type in X parts)?

@Jose-accessa: unfortunately no, I did propose to use ftp or other sites to overcome the problem of sending by email but I am told that it is absolutely necessary to stay in this format!

But above all, it is one of our end customers who uses the assembly in Microstation in complete plant installations and therefore our DWG must be very light!

By the way, if someone has the solution with Microstation, it can help me out for this customer.

@+

Hello

Wouldn't the exchange be easier with a parasolid file?

@a-hincelin: no better in terms of file size and in addition many customers do not read parasolid

@+

good evening @ Coyote

( SolidWorks assemblies ( 178 MB, 5600 components)

in DWG 3D = what file size?

asm transformed into prt = 

defeature = 

What if you remove all the screws?

See these links

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/61436?decorator=print&displayFullThread=true

http://forum.solidagora.com/topic1796.html#p11630

in view of the request at 8MB Max

I think we'll have to use the pruning hook ;-D

PS:

Foolish method

(you make a translucent plexi box with the 6 views above, below, right, left, front, behind)

well OK I am................................. Already out

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Hello

Can be created a common coordinate system for each sub-assembly or part, then converted to sub-assemblies or parts separately and then reassembled using the common coordinate system at the customer's site.

I don't know if it's very clear^^

Thomas

@gt22: I have already removed screws and other but I am still at 16MB of DWG 3D

@Tomalan: why not, but I'm going to spend a whole day there...  

@ coyote

Can you give the different file sizes according to the # type of recording

even if it doesn't make you move forward ;-(

but at least it will allow anyone to see the real dif of the size of these files

@+

PS: have you tried the combine function? 

Yes, but if you're counting correctly, you've already been on it for  a day! ;)

I use this method when I can't use ftp

1 Like

as Tomalam says

if you arrived at 16MB

and that it asks  you for 8 MB to send

you cut your assembly into 2 or 3 parts with adoc markings (these markings will be used to glue their parts)

you will have 2/3 files that will only have + to paste

Maybe it's a solution while waiting for better

@+ ;-)

Indeed I will try to propose this solution.

I'll keep you posted!

@+

1 Like

Thank you all for your help, your solution of redividing my set into  subsets is validated!

@+

I already have a problem but the manipulations of reconstituting the assembly was often difficult.

I negotiated with the client and now I send them the large files via Dropbox.